Writing a children's book for my children - how to print?

akr

Name
Al
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

Most nights I tell my boys a made up story (5 and half and 2 and a half respectively) afer their book time. I let them choose the main characters most nights and there are always some recurring themes.

I was therefore thinking of writing some short stories based on these, hopefully with some illustrations from my wife who can actually draw things people recognise, unlike myself. I'd only need 1-2 copies of the book(s) printed. My 5 year old should be able to read his and he will hopefully read the other one for his younger brother.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I could go down the photobook road but wondered if there was a better way and \ or if anyone who has done anything similar has any words of advice!

Thanks

Al

I've just had a small run of books produced for family (covering my late grandfathers RAF career) and chose this company
www.bookprintinguk.com

I have to say, the entire process was painless and the results were very pleasing!

No problem, as I work close to their premises, I hand delivered my files and checked out paper stock etc, but they would send examples if requested.
If I ever print other books in the future, they'll be my first port of call.

Reactions: akr
I let them choose the main characters most nights...
Just be aware that if the characters in the stories are someone else's intellectual property (i.e. Batman, Dr Who, Harry Potter, etc.) then printers/publishers may be reluctant to handle them in case they get caught up in a law suit. :(

Blurb is the first to come to mind. Although if it just a one off it might be nice to handwrite It and have the original illustrations. I think they would cherish that.

Last edited:
Just be aware that if the characters in the stories are someone else's intellectual property (i.e. Batman, Dr Who, Harry Potter, etc.) then printers/publishers may be reluctant to handle them in case they get caught up in a law suit. :(

Thanks a good reminder - I do periodically add in bits from the faraway tree. However I think I'll generally be safe with fast multicoloured elephants, tigers etc that are as fast as trains as well as camouflaged slime that sends baddies to prison! :)

Blurb is the first to come to mind. Although if it just a one off it might be nice to handwrite It and have the original illustrations. I think they would cherish that.

Unfortunately my hand writing is so bad not sure this would work - might do for a very short story though - thanks for the idea.

However I think I'll generally be safe with fast multicoloured elephants, tigers etc that are as fast as trains as well as camouflaged slime that sends baddies to prison! :)
oooh, now you're talking! Where can I get my copy? :banana:

Just want to add that I think it's a brilliant thing you want to do.

Those books will be treasured waaaaay past childhood.

Lulu (not the singer)

Thanks - I did have to google it!

This one is the most known - http://www.blurb.co.uk
I printed there one my traveling album.

Thanks Alisa - I've used photobox before, but heard good things re blurb
oooh, now you're talking! Where can I get my copy? :banana:

Ha! I'll to a TP exclusive price! lol

Ahh thanks Ruth - you've gone all soft! :)

Hopefully be read to grandchildren in 30 years. It's a beautiful thing.

Hopefully be read to grandchildren in 30 years. It's a beautiful thing.

My dad kept a car I had when I was a child that I loved (apparently!) - it's one you can sit in and push around with your feet and the steering wheel works etc - 30+ years later he got it out of the attic and spent many many hours restoring it and gave it to my eldest who absolutely loved it, and my youngest now has it. It truly was a magical thing.

If it gets to the great grandchildren it's going to need a lot more restoring though but that is the plan if we're lucky enough to end up with grandkids.

Back