Wrong lens arrived - covering myself...

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for opinions on what to do to cover my back here as my immediate thought was that my genuine issue is going to look very, very iffy!

Ordered the following from Amazon...

Fuji 35mm 1.4 - Brand New (£379)
Fuji 56mm 1.2 - Amazon Warehouse (£663)

Both arrived today, opened the 35 and all was good, as expected for a new lens. Opened the 56mm (resealed with Warehouse sticker), there is a 35mm 1.4 in the box (with hood and manual for the 56, oddly)!

I've obviously requested a return for the "56", but will they think I've just swapped out an expensive lens with a much cheaper one? I'm not sure if that sort of thing happens, but obviously it's my word against theirs with presumably no proof either way, so just wanted to make sure I'm covered (they might not even care, who knows!)

I'm hoping the barcode they presumably scan on the 35 box is somehow linked to the serial number on the lens, so they can see it's a separate lens to the one they've also delivered to me wrongly, or is that asking too much?

Last edited:
open both boxes take a picture... its all you can do....

is the serial on the box for the 35mm? If so you could easily show the other one matches, but otherwise yeah take a photo for evidence. I doubt it will be an issue though Amazon are usually excellent at resolving issues.

is the serial on the box for the 35mm? If so you could easily show the other one matches, but otherwise yeah take a photo for evidence. I doubt it will be an issue though Amazon are usually excellent at resolving issues.

Everything aside from the lens is for the 56, box, manual, labels, hood etc, so at some point something has gone wrong and maybe somebody out there has got a bargain. I meant that I hoped that when they receive this 35 back (in the 56 box) they could somehow tell from the 35 serial on the lens itself that it's not the genuine new one that I've also received.

I'm probably worried about nothing, but I know it will play on my mind until resolved!

Last edited:
As said - take a photo of both together, probably with camera and phone, so two different sources?

Everything aside from the lens is for the 56, box, manual, labels, hood etc, so at some point something has gone wrong and maybe somebody out there has got a bargain. I meant that I hoped that when they receive this 35 back (in the 56 box) they could somehow tell from the 35 serial on the lens itself that it's not the genuine new one that I've also received.

I'm probably worried about nothing, but I know it will play on my mind until resolved!

I mean the box for the 35, if you're worried they'll think you're sending back the 35 you bought at the same time you can show the other 35 you have matches the serial on the box.

Perhaps someone bought the 35 and a 56 from amazon and returned the 56 in the 35 box by "mistake". Guy at amazon checks yep there is a lens and looks in one piece so puts it for sale in amazon warehouse.

The Fuji lenses do look incredibly similar to the untrained eye, in fairness.

I've had this happen with a computer processor - got sent a much slower model than the one I bought. I didn't realise until I assembled the machine and booted up (note - always inspect the goods, not the box!).

Luckily the supplier were very good about it. They didn't confirm it explicitly, but I got the impression they thought it must have been one of their staff, as it wasn't a returned item and the box should never have been opened before it got to me.

From what I hear about Amazon warehouses, I doubt an employee would have the opportunity to do this at work, and they probably aren't allowed to check their own returns, so it's probably a dodgy customer. One would hope they would follow up on this, but I suspect they'll just write it off as a loss.

I have had to return a couple of things to Amazon that obviously were not new but had been sold as such

If it is any use, I have found Amazon's cs to be very good , would be interested in the outcome of this ....

If it is any use, I have found Amazon's cs to be very good , would be interested in the outcome of this ....

Lens arrived back with them Friday, refund issued today :)

Back