wrong on so many levels

Quote ...

"The Advent K100 with its powerful Celeron M 250 processor makes it the ideal multimedia solution for your kids. With the K100 your children can preview and download the latest releases from the internet and with the 1GB there is plenty of room to store their entire CD collection. 6 brightly coloured interchangeable covers have been specially designed for the Advent K100 to capture your child's imagination. The covers will bring out your child's creative side, by allowing each laptop to be customised. They can also insert their favourite picture of choice in to the picture frame on the cover."

They should also add:-

"However, you will also have to provide activities for your kid to do after an hour and a half, or tell them how the film ends, as the battery life on this is only 90mins long - read the small print next time!!!"

;)

Anth

the main problem i have with it is that its now given the kids the right to ask for a lap top for xmas.
'no, you cant have a laptop, they are for adults','but they have kids laptops on tv, mum!'

Kids are spoiled rotten nowadays because parents cant say no. Thats why half of them are walking the streets with posher mobile phones than your average estate agent. Thats also why they keep getting mugged too!

the main problem i have with it is that its now given the kids the right to ask for a lap top for xmas.
'no, you cant have a laptop, they are for adults','but they have kids laptops on tv, mum!'

Kids are spoiled rotten nowadays because parents cant say no. Thats why half of them are walking the streets with posher mobile phones than your average estate agent. Thats also why they keep getting mugged too!

:agree:

My youngest who is 10 has been asking for a Laptop for his Birthday or Xmas for the past couple of years. Made worse by the fact we bought the eldest one for his 16th, but then he was about to start college anyway. I think kids have been after them for a while due to the amount they use them in schools anyway.
Still he'll add it to Santas list along with the ipod, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Along with all the DR Who figures he hasn't yet got.
I think alot has changed since any of us were kids what ever generation we come from.

My youngest who is 10 has been asking for a Laptop for his Birthday or Xmas for the past couple of years. Made worse by the fact we bought the eldest one for his 16th, but then he was about to start college anyway. I think kids have been after them for a while due to the amount they use them in schools anyway.
Still he'll add it to Santas list along with the ipod, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Along with all the DR Who figures he hasn't yet got.
I think alot has changed since any of us were kids what ever generation we come from.

thats all very true but many children have no boundaries which is resulting in much of the low level crime and lack of respect.

Laptops for Christmas. What a wonderful idea. :)

One solution would be to sign up to a broadband service that gives you a laptop and wireless router. And no, I don't mean the aol offering.

;)

It's the 21st century - the modern world is a place where access to the internet is a prerequisite. (pointing this out on an internet forum should be redundant)

Yes laptops are expensive - and yes the battery life is not great on this particular model - but people spend a fortune buying thier children pointless hunks of plastic that will be in the loft (or given to a charity shop) by february.

If your child wants a laptop - then they should be able to do something to earn it - whatever happened to helping out around the house? washing the car?? My daughter will celebrate her ninth birthday at the end of the month and has not requested a laptop. But when she does I will expect her to do something towards earning such an expensive gift.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Computers are the way of the world. I don't know if it is out there yet but check this out. It is marketed at the under 5's... My son at 3 1/2 has his own computer an older PC which gets used only with us. But I fully expect by the time he's reached middle school (around 10) that laptops will be a requirement just like they now are in College/University. Just because you buy your kid a laptop doesn't mean you stop being a parent. You still limit the time and what they are allowed to use it for. And I fully agree about helping in the purchasing. My son already gets an allowance for his chores. $3 a week. $1 has to go in long term savings (college) $1 has to go in short term (a toy he really wants) and the other he can spend as he likes (I take him to the $1 store). The laptop isn't bad matter of fact it can really help but once you buy it your responsibility as a parent doesn't end, it is just beginning.

Ignoring the pros & cons of buying a Laptop for a child the idea of spending £350 on a single item for a Christmas present is barking mad . It's no wonder that we have such a high debt rate in this country.

Ps. If somebody wants to buy me a XBOX 360 I'll quite happily eat my words :D

It's the 21st century - the modern world is a place where access to the internet is a prerequisite. (pointing this out on an internet forum should be redundant)

Yes laptops are expensive - and yes the battery life is not great on this particular model - but people spend a fortune buying thier children pointless hunks of plastic that will be in the loft (or given to a charity shop) by february.

If your child wants a laptop - then they should be able to do something to earn it - whatever happened to helping out around the house? washing the car?? My daughter will celebrate her ninth birthday at the end of the month and has not requested a laptop. But when she does I will expect her to do something towards earning such an expensive gift.

Of course that's just my opinion.

helping out around the house in return for a £350 laptop is more £/hr than i earn myself!

My two kids (11 & 14) share a laptop for homework, their school is very much set up for doing it this way - they can log in to their school account and up/download work directly, discuss work on forums, etc.

FWIW, my son wanted a DSLR for his birthday but after a chat he realised that it was a daft idea as he couldn't support the ongoing costs of lenses, etc. Instead he got a FinePix S6500 which has full manual control so he can still learn the basics.

Some interesting comments since posting this morning.

Personally, I have no problems about children using computers. As has been stated, it is a way of the world and it's important they learn how to use them, and the advantages and disadvantages of both.

We all use them to share our love of photography, so why not introduce children to them too?

As regards encouraging obesity - no, I disagree. Like anything else, get the balance right. Plenty of exercise -vs- plenty of computer time. Who says the child won't use their laptop to find and enrol in their local football club before posting photos of their latest match ?? Common sense on usage.

As regards price for xmas pressies - I agree. it's a hell of a lot to pay. Unfortunately now though, it does seem to be a sign of the times. With xbox 360's and PS3's hittin the £400 mark, this is just another expensive present. Give them 50p and a tangerine I say!!!

PcWorld - don't get me started on that one. The Jessops of computing I fear!!!!

Well, that's my say - for what it's worth!!!

Anth.

PS - if any of you are contemplating what to get ME for christmas ... a small whiip round to fund a D3 would be lovely ..... cheers ;)

that add anoyed me too.
o yeah, kids have to have a laptop for schoolwork now, b****r off. ONLY£360 or somesuch. and whose paying for it.yup, mum and dad.
ok , all my (not little anymore) kids have pc,s/laptops , it just anoys me that shops are telling US what we need to buy our kids.the kid on the add must be about 12.

Isn't this helping to encourage 'fat lazy' kids though?

A football is so much healthier!

My two boys now aged 19 & 17 both had a pc from about the age of 11 & 9.

They loved their pc and their games machine.... but played football for hours and hours till it got dark in the winter, followed by cricket in the summer months.

I never restricted their games machine/pc time because they had plenty of exercise too.

I can only think that what encourages "fat & lazy kids" is parents, not pc's. :)

I don't see a problem with children having computers or other hi tech equipment, i think the main issues is that these things are just given to them for christmas / birthdays with out them havin to ever work for what they want.

Yes i got nice presents as a child but for my pocket money i would have to do washing up and help with the house work saturday am. When i wanted something big like a computer i wound have to put together the birthday money from parents, granparents etc and if that wasnt enough pop up the rest with my own savings. This way i was able to get what i wanted but still apreishated the value of it.

Don't kids always want the latest gadget? I know when I was growing up I'd hound my parents for whatever was fashionable at the time. Sometimes it worked often it didn't.

This adult generation balk at paying for a kids laptop. When the kids of today have kids of their own they'll be complaining just as we are now at the price of some 'toy'.

Don't kids always want the latest gadget?

Yep,... it was spacehoppers and chopper bikes!! :D
I went on and on for a Chopper bike.. they were £30 if I recall..only 1 of my friends had one and I didnt get one as they were FAR too expensive.

I think the difference now is that parents then would say NO and that stood. Parents now give in too easily.
Myself included. :|

This is easy.
When I first read the post I really couldn't see what was so worng about it as such. Still don't in the way the op puts it.

But if you take Nigel's comments and add Janice's to the mix it saves me a whole lot of typing .

If anyone dares mention national service as the answer to the nations youth problems I swear I'll drop a helicopter on you!;)

No Laptops, but my step-kids each had their own account on our home PC - limited access of course. No downloads, no programs and no games. It was for homework and school-related web research. Needless to say it hardly ever got used as I refused to install MSN Messenger on it...lol
Each of them had a pre-paid Moby which they had to top-up with their pocket money. If they went out, they had to demonstate they had enough credit to call home in an emergency or they weren't allowed out. Victorian Dad? Maybe...
Still... not my problem any more...lol

If anyone dares mention national service as the answer to the nations youth problems I swear I'll drop a helicopter on you!;)

Quite right Kev, volunteer armed forces personnel don't have the time, qualifications or inclination to look after criminals.

Arkady you are a hard man, I'll bet the kids loved you!;)

A mate of mine at Laarbruch (RAF base in Germany as was) reckoned that all they understand is fear and pain which should be administered in equal doses regularly :LOL::LOL: (Not that I agreed with him you understand:eek:)

:agree:

Totally Right, I see it everyday.

This is funny to see everyones opinions on this subject. I have two kids myself 8/9yrs who beg for the latest and greatest gadgets every year for christmas, inculiding a laptop. Do I give in to it? NO. I could if i wanted too financially yes but, I just don't agree with kids and laptops and whatever the hell else they want. Their kids and they need to act like it. I'm talking 12 and under, they don't 'need' a laptop do do simple homework at that age,lol Gimmie a break! I just think it's easier for parents to give in, even if it means they'll go broke in doing so. It's a shame that they make their kids feel like they need to keep up with all the other kids in the neighborhood. Yes video games make great babysitters for hours and hours during those long winter nights, but pulling out a boardgame for the WHOLE family to play is just as much fun imo.Call me old fashioned,lol :D

Bottom line is parents need to give more time to their kids, not high tech gadgets. That's all they 'need'.

Jewel

well my daughter has just turned 5 and has the best computer skills in the class!

Encouraged her on the pc since she was 3 on basic kids games. encouraging excellent hand eye co-ordination.

I think that childrens envolvement with the pc should be accompanied by adults. And i certainly wont be allowing pc use in her own room until she is a lot older.

I didn't have my own pc until 3 years ago! And it took a lot of saving up for a 2nd hand pc. and i want my daughter to understand the value of having such luxary's and not expect them.

aiming proper laptops at young kids is taking things too far!

This is funny to see everyones opinions on this subject. I have two kids myself 8/9yrs who beg for the latest and greatest gadgets every year for christmas, inculiding a laptop. Do I give in to it? NO. I could if i wanted too financially yes but, I just don't agree with kids and laptops and whatever the hell else they want. Their kids and they need to act like it. I'm talking 12 and under, they don't 'need' a laptop do do simple homework at that age,lol Gimmie a break! I just think it's easier for parents to give in, even if it means they'll go broke in doing so. It's a shame that they make their kids feel like they need to keep up with all the other kids in the neighborhood. Yes video games make great babysitters for hours and hours during those long winter nights, but pulling out a boardgame for the WHOLE family to play is just as much fun imo.Call me old fashioned,lol :D

Bottom line is parents need to give more time to their kids, not high tech gadgets. That's all they 'need'.

Jewel

Great post jewel, theirs no subsitute for spending time with your kids (y)

Kids having own computer = parents computer safe? :shrug:

Would have thought that was a good idea! :D

I liked the post earlier .....

"Kids always want the latest gadget"

As a 33yr old bloke, I still have a wish list involving a Nikon D3, Sigma 17-70mm, PSP ..... ;)

Anth.

OK, let's get real. Advertisers have ALWAYS told us what to buy our kids, and have ALWAYS told kids what to ask their parents for. That's why it's called "advertising." The whole point is to create the need so they can fill it. The only difference these days is the amount of money associated with it.

Computers are, like anything else, what you make of them. Everything in moderation. Candy is not a bad thing, but too much of it is. Alcohol is not inherently evil, but drinking in excess is definitely detrimental. Same thing with computers.

When we were kids, we ALL wanted and begged for the latest and greatest things, and it was up to our parents to decide what we could have and to determine the rules governing those things. No different these days.

- CJ

why is it that whilst the relatives spend rediculous amounts of money on my little sister at christmas, my strict (im the most strict big brother in the universe) rules of "less than £20 and it must be either creative or educational" always seem to yeild the only present thats really played with after boxing day.

everything for kids these days is about having the latest gizmo or what all the cool kids have, christ i only got my first games console a month ago (and even that is out of date but it doesnt bother me!) my little sister has had the likes of "a laptop" a "playstation" etc on her christmas list for the past few years, doesnt mean she'll get it, more than likely she'll be too busy playing the "shutup and be quiet" game (no she hasnt seen through it yet) to notice that she actually just gets 3 satsumas and a walnut in her christmas stocking!

Jewel

clearly you have no concept of the buy everything within the first 5 mins of the game of monopoly and inevitably be bankrupt and out of the game after 10mins version then!

and i agree with you by the way, when i was a kid we didnt have much money but **** me it was fun!

they don't 'need' a laptop do do simple homework at that age

at 6 years old my daughter was teaching the teacher to use a computer :LOL: at 7 she had her own computer (no internet) at the age of 12 she was totally banned from computer classes in school & at home. Using adult chatlines was just one of her tamer ideas.

I'm i a naive parent........... emm no, i had plenty of qualifications CCNA, MsCE, Networking+ etc but as quick as i learned she was learning more :LOL:

so you have been warned.

ps yes i did have software to stop access to sites, when she had internet, i found best way was pull the plug :LOL:

Back