WSB Silverstone Day 1,2 and 3

Name
Glen
Edit My Images
No
OK just a few from today as its been a very steep learning curve for me today working in an enviroment that i never thought i would and that felt rather surreal. I must say that i take my hat off to all the season pro's that do this for a living as its a lot easier taking pictures for yourself from the other side of the fence than working to a deadline in a busy media enviroment.
Could not believe how dificult it is working in a live pit lane trying to get angles and shots with all thats going on around you but my what a buzz.

Anyway day two for me tomorrow but only have two morning sesions to get the rest of my pit work done then will be trackside for the afternoon and back in more of an enviroment i am used too but a bit closer and with no fences.

1/
CN8D4994.JPG

2/
CN8D5137.JPG

3/
CN8D4970.JPG

4/
IMG_4228.JPG

5/
IMG_4290.JPG

Well hopefully i will learn from the mistakes i made today and will be a little more at ease with the fact of being where i am as today my head was all over the place and i made a load of school boy errors.

Check back tomorrow for a few from day two (y)

Last edited:
Well congrats to you :clap: not very jelous :D
Look forward to some on track stuff...
Clive.

Having fun Glen?

If I may be so bold as to give you a hint... don't shoot with the centre focus point with people, try a little offset (rule of thirds etc) and try to avoid space over their heads... and if all else fails, fix all of the above with the crop tool 8)

Good luck tommorow matey!

Think what you have done is great and as a starting point. . . . well, it can only get better. Congratulations and my only bit of advise - Enjoy it!

.DAVID.

Media eh - hope you still talk to us lower class

Seriuosly well pleased for you Glen, you deserve it mate. Looking forward to todays episode.

Love the Halsam shot

Thanks mate and believe me it's the one and only time i will get given this chance and as much as i really enjoyed the experience i would not want to do it as a job. Take away the one big perk of pit access and we all know we can do the rest from our side without the pressures that go with it.

Well congrats to you not very jelous
Look forward to some on track stuff...
Clive.

Thanks and must be honest its put me off :wacky:. The people i have met through doing this are really great people but most earn nothing from it and have far less kit than we do yet produce remarkable work for what they have.
The most expensive thing in our row of togs is the Mac Book Pro's they own,most of the canon cameras are 40 or 7 D's and they hire there lenses when needed.

Having fun Glen?

If I may be so bold as to give you a hint... don't shoot with the centre focus point with people, try a little offset (rule of thirds etc) and try to avoid space over their heads... and if all else fails, fix all of the above with the crop tool 8)

Good luck tommorow matey!

Cheers Andy and you know that you are the equivalent to my Yoda from the constant messages from me :help:. Only had the one day in the pit but will makes sure if there is a next time or even if there isn't to approach shooting people in a different way to the bikes.
Only a very select few aloud pit access during Pole and race's and even less aloud on the grid,and today the chap i am working for covered pit while i did track so didn't even get any pictures of the totty :crying:.

Think what you have done is great and as a starting point. . . . well, it can only get better. Congratulations and my only bit of advise - Enjoy it!

.DAVID.

Thanks and yes its been better than any thing else i have ever done although i did have to stop and pinch myself while in the pit lane a few times but i will stick to my day job and just take the occasional opertunity if it ever arrises again.

Ok a few from Saturday.

6/
sat%20(2).JPG

7/
sat%20(1).JPG

8/
sat%20(3).JPG

9/
sat%20(4).JPG

I do apologise if any of the colours are out in the last four but its nearly 2am and i can hardly see the monitor and im off to bed to get some sleep again ready for tomorrow.

Dont forget a very vital bit of kit to your camera bag like i did today....SUN CREAM :cool: my arms are like a lobsters.

Take care and lets see what race days brings us all.

Really like the Camier shot, awesome!

Well here is the final update.
Had a mare of a day on Sunday through just getting to much sun all day Saturday so now understand why most of our lot stayed in the media centre for the day.

Managed to get trackside to complete one of the three finish photos i was ment to get before throwing the towel in and going home.

Had a great time and made some new friends and contacts but will try to get a bit of a smaller race to cover in future as i did find it one hell of an eye opener.

Three things i learned this weekend.

1/
Unless you are very top of the tree and very good at it, motorsport photography is very hard work for very little money.

2/
Working to a brief as a junior photographer is very restrictive and a bit strange when you have loads of access but spend all day doing silly things.

3/
Track photography seems really boring now after being in the pits and is something else to learn.

OK here are the last few from my first and more than likely last accredited WSB weekend.

10/
CN8D4763.JPG

11/
CN8D4918.JPG

12/
IMG_4268.JPG

13/
CN8D4986.jpg

14/
CN8D5635.jpg

15/
CN8D5217.jpg

16/
IMG_4261.jpg

17/
CN8D5140.jpg

18/
IMG_4592.jpg

19/
IMG_4659.jpg

20/
361473496.jpg

Well thanks very much for looking and will see some of you hopefully on Saturday at Brands when im back our side of the fence with a ladder etc on the GP loop for BSB.

Great captures Glen, dont see any reason why it should be your last accredited WSB weekend unless of course you stood in front of us on your travels. :D See you at Cadwell for the BSB Sharon and Paul. :wave:

Nice shots Glen,

Its always nice to see one of the guys that deserve to be trackside get their chance. Certainly lots of the shots in thread show why you have a place trackside.

For me 10 is a stunning image! I trust the rider was ok?

Of the track photos, 14 is lovely, a portrait shot i actually like!

Only real crit would be that i don't feel the last few images work, backs of bikes are rarely photogenic!

Great set Glen really nice ,like em all (y)

Great captures Glen, dont see any reason why it should be your last accredited WSB weekend unless of course you stood in front of us on your travels. :D See you at Cadwell for the BSB Sharon and Paul. :wave:

Cheers and look forward to meeting you both one day,honestly i have a much greater repect for the Pro's now that do this every meeting and as much as i loved the pit access it's really nice just shooting what you want with no pressure.

Nice shots Glen,

Its always nice to see one of the guys that deserve to be trackside get their chance. Certainly lots of the shots in thread show why you have a place trackside.

For me 10 is a stunning image! I trust the rider was ok?

Of the track photos, 14 is lovely, a portrait shot i actually like!

Only real crit would be that i don't feel the last few images work, backs of bikes are rarely photogenic!

Thanks Nick,

It was a chance and also an experience of a lifetime for me after growing up with bikes for so long.

10# was on my first day there and i was one of only 3 photographers that captured the incident,Badovini was allready running back to the pits to get his spare bike while the marshalls were putting it out.

Thanks for the honest crit on the last few,i must admit i followed the bunch of togs that were at the bottom of the track with me and did not realise you could shoot from the bottom enclosure of the pit wall but have made a note incase theres a next time.

Great set Glen really nice ,like em all (y)

Thanks and hope to see you soon,we will meet up one day as so far Graham is the only person i have met yet we all know each other so well through a common intrest and this forum.

Lovely set Glen. From Sunday it must be the Hopper shot(y)
Followed closely by the Lowes shot and #18.
Looks like you did a great job mate:clap:

Cheers Graham,
Only the last few are from Sunday as i was so ill and am still sitting here looking like a lobster and feeling sick through to much Sun. Must remember to wear long sleeves and a hat next time.

great set Glen.i like them all allso

Thanks very much Steve.

Had some great help over the weekend and made some new friends in the shape of the togs from Girl Racer who are Mike Evans and Jen Watson and also Jared Earle and Stuart Dallas from Motoracereports,they looked after me all weekend as if i had known them for years.

Have a look at there work or check them out on Twitter.

Back