WSBK sat

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Until now all I have done by way of PP is a crop and maybe some adjustment on exposure if the photo looks too light/dark and some sharpening , I generally just use the software that came with the camera for this although I have CS5 I have no idea how or what to use it for. My question is am I doing enough or indeed the right things what else should/could I be doing to improve the look of my images ??? I asked this in another section and was told to post some photo's so here goes:

IMG_1717 by jack 175, on Flickr

IMG_1240 by jack 175, on Flickr
I really like the above image but I know it could be better if I knew what to do to make the blacks blacker without darkening the rest of the details down

IMG_0158 by jack 175, on Flickr

As far as I can see, any adjustments you make to these photos only need to be really minor ones. You have captuted the action well, particularly in the first one.

However, am I right in thinking this is the sort of thing you mean about "blacker blacks"?

mbike01.jpg

that looks much better to me, I only seem to be able to make the whole image go darker and I didn't want that , here are another 2 from saturday

IMG_0844 by jack 175, on Flickr

IMG_0013 by jack 175, on Flickr

Last edited:
What I used was a thing called "Levels" which, once you've got used to it, is very simple to use. That adjustment to your second image only took me a few seconds.

If you Google "Photoshop Levels" you'll find loads of tutorials.

Your final image is great, btw!

thanks very much, I shall go away and try and learn some more , learnt about layers and masks today as well , I think my head may well explode

Number one for me with a bit of tweaking in cs5, what I do is auto contrast then increase the vibrancy and saturation levels.
From looking through your exit on 1 you were using one stop af, for Motorsport I would recommend al servo which when you pan to bike with the camera the camera keeps tracking rather than locking focus once and losing it.

Focus Mode AI Servo AF
AFArea Mode Single-point AF

I think you got these confused - I always have it set on those

DrGed could you tell me what makes the final image great ? I personally cannot see why that image is better than the others , if anything I would have to say that I honestly prefer image 3

Last edited:
Back