[WTD] info on b/w asap

Edit My Images
Yes
hi
wife and i are going to derbyshire tommorow shooting some scenery and stuff, she is using my old Minolta dynax 35mm with B/W film in it, now, she has 3 filters, yellow,green and polariser, which do you think she should using on the day, or would the weather make a difference??
cheers
stevannie

I actually know very little about 35mm photography, so I'm not even going to comment.

However - go to Hathersage and Ladybower for some of the best scenery in Derbyshire.

thanks GfK, noted, and as we live not to far from deryshire, we shall visit these places this year i am sure.
stevannie

Not the green, if I remember correctly it will give washed out greens. The yellow will give a bit more contrast to a blue sky, make clouds stand out a bit more and make them more interesting, the polariser will do much the same

Actually read this... http://www.acecam.com/magazine/filters-faq.html.

:)

Not an expert Stevannie but it will be condition dependent and a good starting point would be why use filters at all ?

At a guess the most useful is likely to be the yellow - for sky effects if it warrants !

Other than that I would experiment on different shots with all three and see what you get after developing ?:D

Not a great help I suppose but ...

Hmmm interesting reading steep, i think it will be either yellow or polariser.
Many thanks for the link.
stevannie

Red filter will give dramatic darker skies

Yellow and orange will give sky effects less dramatic than the above, plus the orange can be used to lighten brick and stonework. Generally a filter lightens colours similar to itself.

Green will give good skin tones or is useful for lightening foliage. :)

Depends on the weather.
The colour of a filter alters the light passing through the lens.
Since panchromatic B&W film is slightly over-sensitive to blue light, then a pale yellow or orange filter will 'restore' the tonal range that we seee in a particular scene.
Green filters were used to give better skin tones in portraiture under tungsten light.
A polariser will do exactly the same as for colour - i.e. suppress reflections off non-metallic surfaces and block some of the directional light passing through the lens.
If in doubt, shoot the scene with each of the filters in turn and examine the results for the best.
Also, since it's film - bracket your exposures. 1/3 up and 1/3 down at the least.
As my old photography teacher once said - "If it's worth one frame, it's worth at least two more - if it's not worth three then it's not worth any..."

I still (sad git that i am) have all my uni notes tucked away somewhere - I was going to pass them on to my step-son, but he's given up on photography. If anyone wants answers to specific questions regarding film, there's still a few of us on here who used the stuff in anger.

Arkady said:
As my old photography teacher once said - "If it's worth one frame, it's worth at least two more - if it's not worth three then it's not worth any..."

Excellent quote !!

Arkady said:
questions regarding film, there's still a few of us on here who used the stuff in anger.

:laugh1:

Back