X-Pan filters

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I've been using my xpan now for a few years and love it as a camera, I've just ordered the centre filter which I haven't used before.

But I was wondering if anybody had used a nd filter with it before for longer exposures? And what issues/successes people have had. Is it possible to stack filters on the camera?

Which X-Pan do you have?

The reason I ask is that they are limited on how long you want to expose

First X-Pan was limited to 30 seconds, they then modified it later on to 6 minutes, I do not know how you tell which is which.

X-PanII was max of 9 minutes.

I have in the past done some with a few seconds exposure but never taken mine to the 30 sec max.

TWO people with X-pans.......damit.....:dummy:

Anyway, assuming we're not just talking about flat nd's and apart from the exposure time limitation on xpans, I use a mamiya 6 and I've found it tough to use a grad, I reckon on at least a 50% fail rate with regard to its positioning on the lens and the eventual on film result, its either wonky or not lined up correctly at least half the time, especially noticeable with hard grads.
If the filter ring on the lens rotates for focusing, that just adds to the difficulty.
Polarizers aren't as bad, its still a faff but positioning isn't as critical, near enough is good enough not to ruin the shot like grads do..:)

TWO people with X-pans.......damit.....:dummy:

Anyway, assuming we're not just talking about flat nd's and apart from the exposure time limitation on xpans, I use a mamiya 6 and I've found it tough to use a grad, I reckon on at least a 50% fail rate with regard to its positioning on the lens and the eventual on film result, its either wonky or not lined up correctly at least half the time, especially noticeable with hard grads.
If the filter ring on the lens rotates for focusing, that just adds to the difficulty.
Polarizers aren't as bad, its still a faff but positioning isn't as critical, near enough is good enough not to ruin the shot like grads do..:)

I wondered about that issue, but then I remembered the sublime landscapes from @osh using grads on a Mamiya 7II (eg this one)... so yet another way he leaves us feeling inadequate!

I checked it last night and it maxed out at about 32 seconds. For experimenting I was intending to use a screw in solid nd filter to start with.

Has anybody tried stacking 2 filters on the 45mm lens? Is there any vignetting or edge shadow?

I wondered about that issue, but then I remembered the sublime landscapes from @osh using grads on a Mamiya 7II (eg this one)... so yet another way he leaves us feeling inadequate!

I've not seen that before, that's beautiful picture..:)

If he used a grad on that.......its awesome

I've not seen that before, that's beautiful picture..:)

If he used a grad on that.......its awesome
It was the first I could find on a quick search; some others have disappeared at source. Every shot he put into the "Show us yer..." thread qualified for the A word. For a while he was a metaphor for quality. Don't think he's been on the forum for a couple of years...

It was the first I could find on a quick search; some others have disappeared at source. Every shot he put into the "Show us yer..." thread qualified for the A word. For a while he was a metaphor for quality. Don't think he's been on the forum for a couple of years...

Doesn't look like he's posted no, but he's still around

osh was last seen:

Friday at 8:16 AM

Has anybody tried stacking 2 filters on the 45mm lens? Is there any vignetting or edge shadow?

No sorry I havn't. I only tend to use a warm up filter and a poloriser on mine, both screw in and if I am going to use the poloriser then I will swap the filters around. If I am going to use anything else I tend to stick a filter holder, Cokin or Hitech on the front of mine.

Back