Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
What can you guys tell me about it?

Storage.

Handling ( ( Total darkness?, Safelight?)

Exposing. ( Speed rating?)

Developing. (What chems?)

Last edited:
Film Washi D datasheet

OK I've just come across this data sheet which offers some help.

Tbh I have not a clue what brand of film I'm possibly going to receive.

I got call from a friend today who works in the local hospital.
Evidently they have a boatload of X-Ray film to dispose of.
There's no guarantees ( due to hospital policies :rolleyes:) but she may be able to obtain some for me if I am interested.

Hence my need for info on the stuff

I've shot Washi-F quite a bit which is fluorographic medical X-ray film (apparently)

I don't know how it will be anything like what you get unless there's a significant amount of blind luck involved (although Washi-F is French!)

Expose ISO 200 and go a stop either way for your first try. It'll depend on your light. Gloom is more of a 200 speed for F, and bright sun I'd definitely shoot at 400.
Handle in total darkness if possible - including film loading if 35mm. I have to scrub the first 2-3 frames due to light leak w/35mm. Very sensetive to light.

Rodinal 1+50 : 9m @ 20 degrees
HC-110 (B) : 9m @ 20 degrees

Not tried any other developers.

I quite like the anti-halation look so finding patchy high contrast (tree branches against a sky, or light/dark of a blind on a window) allows the light to bleed into the shadows really nicely. It's not everyone's taste though!

Good luck with it!

I was about to suggest looking at the washi film site but you obviously got there before me. It will probably help to wait and see what you end up with. Once you know the brand, more information might be easier bto find.

It'll probably be an orthochromatic film safe to handle under red light though and I imagine it should be stored just like any other film, unless you have x-rays flying about in which case you'll need a lead lined box.

And if you have any spare, don't hesitate to get in touch! :-D

Thanks both , both very helpful.

I’ll drop her a line tomorrow to show ‘our’ interest ;)

After that it’s down to the hospital ......

Back