X10 or RX100

Name
Vasilis
Edit My Images
No
I am trying to go to something smaller and lighter to take with me on biking trips or for snapshots on holidays abroad where I might not feel comfortable taking with me my K-5.

The idea was to wait and get an X-E1 but that won't be coming soon enough anyway and the lens that I would love to buy with it the 14mm (plus the standard zoom) is not out till early next year. So I am looking into buying something a lot more portable for the time being.

What would you recommend of the two? I am mostly interested in OOC JPEGs quality, ergonomics, battery life and so on.

To me it seems that the ergonomics on the X10 might be better than the RX100 and the battery as well, also the mechanical ring on the front seems more responsive than the Sony one and I can find it for a cool £150£ cheaper than the Sony.

On the other hand the Sony is smaller and has a bigger sensor and gets rave reviews all over.

Not used the RX100 but it does look an excellent camera. I have an X10 and love it, the twisting zoom is far nicer to use than the electric zooms on other compacts. I rarely if ever use raw on it as I'm more than happy with the jpegs (yes I know the benefits of raw, I use it 100% of the time on my slr), but the battery life isn't up to much. You'd definitely need to budget for some spares if you opted for the X10.

I think battery life is poor on all compacts and you always need spare batteries but they are cheap so not really an issue. I wouldn't count battery life as a comparison criteria personally.

I liked the ergonomics of the X10, the jpegs were great, the viewfinder was usable (just) and for me would lead me to buy the X10 over the RX100 as I hate using the rear screen.

It is a tight fit in a pocket though.

I had an X10 a while back and really liked it - the handling was superb largely due to the 'proper' manual zoom lens and image quality excellent. Although the OVF only showed approx 80% of the view it was still very useful and worked well in bright light

I got an RX100 last week and, whilst I haven't used it a great deal, would say that overall it is a better all round camera. The sensor is quite a bit larger and this done show up, especially at high ISO's, and the camera had a huge amount of settings/customer modes which, rather than being gimmicks, are mostly very useful and well implemented.

If I had to pick one camera it would have to be the RX100 which is by far the best truly compact camera I have ever owned. Now, if it had the manual zoom and option of a built in OVF/EVF it would be perfection

Thanks guys!

Informative although nothing has made my decision easier :p

The price of the X10 keeps dropping too which together with its better JPEG OOC, manual zoom and better handling (I like having some sort of grip on my cameras) is making it very very tempting.

However for IQ and sheer pocketability the RX100 is just a much better camera... I have two weeks to decide :p I don't see it happening lol

Depends. If image quality is crucial, the RX100 maybe. Like if you want to print large or display your images large on screen. If not, you'll probably not notice the difference after a quick clean up in LR or photoshop. It's not going to be anywhere near the difference say, as either of these and a dslr. They are what they are, advanced compacts [we brought our X10 to a party last night and anyone who picked it upcouldn't figureit out :D ] - I definitely wouldn't call them p&s, way too many controls on body for that.

I got a good deal on the X10 here, I too had been looking at the Rx100 - but to me, that looks much more like a normal compact. Looks a bit slippery to hold, no grip. That and the price. It's dslr price for it, too much for me. If I was going that high I'd start looking at the X100 or even the pro with the current deals on.

Depends. If image quality is crucial, the RX100 maybe. Like if you want to print large or display your images large on screen. If not, you'll probably not notice the difference after a quick clean up in LR or photoshop. It's not going to be anywhere near the difference say, as either of these and a dslr. They are what they are, advanced compacts [we brought our X10 to a party last night and anyone who picked it upcouldn't figureit out :D ] - I definitely wouldn't call them p&s, way too many controls on body for that.

I got a good deal on the X10 here, I too had been looking at the Rx100 - but to me, that looks much more like a normal compact. Looks a bit slippery to hold, no grip. That and the price. It's dslr price for it, too much for me. If I was going that high I'd start looking at the X100 or even the pro with the current deals on.

I am buying the X-E1 no question about this. The XPro1 is too big, trying to go as small as I can while keeping IQ on the same level of my K-5 for a camera that will not give me neck strain.

However it is not out for a little while it is still 3 times as expensive as the cheapest RX100 and it is nto pocketable. I want something smaller for bike trips and where I want a camera that can slip in a largish pocket without burdening me.

I agree though the RX100 even as an import is over £400 and that makes it expensive. s/h X10 are well under 300 now while I have not seen one s/h RX100.

Maybe the lack of s/h rx100 cameras indicates all the owners are happy with it?
I'd view that as a positive indication of how capable the rx100 is for a compact.

Edited because the on screen kb on my s3 is a pain. Lol.

Last edited:
That may very well be a good sign for the RX100 - not seeing them on the used market. People like to hang onto them. And a lot of people are selling on the X10 - but I don't see that as a bad thing. They're just eyeing up all the newer models. Some people just have to have the latest and greatest every time. I got the X10 in a package with leather case and some filters for 250. Shop around ;)

I have owned both - swapped my X10 for an RX100. I miss my X10 tbh. Its just so much superior to handle and so intuitive. The RX100 does offer better low light performance but picture quality is excellent on both. I bought the RX100 as an impulse buy from my local Sony Centre who were closing down for refurbishment and sold it to me for £439.

Honestly if Fuji ever released an X10 replacement with a bigger sensor then the RX100 would be on the classifieds.

That may very well be a good sign for the RX100 - not seeing them on the used market. People like to hang onto them. And a lot of people are selling on the X10 - but I don't see that as a bad thing. They're just eyeing up all the newer models. Some people just have to have the latest and greatest every time. I got the X10 in a package with leather case and some filters for 250. Shop around ;)

Yeah had seen that :) great deal.

I think the lack of RX100 in the classifieds is not so much a testament to its quality as it is to its high price and therefore not that many people buy them if they are not very sure about them. Let alone it is far too new, the X10 has been in the market for quite a while.

Checking the sizes of my pockets :p it might end up coming down to size / price in the end.

Maybe the lack of s/h rx100 cameras indicates all the owners are happy with it?
I'd view that as a positive indication of how capable the rx100 is for a compact.

Edited because the on screen kb on my s3 is a pain. Lol.

Well at least your S3 gives you enough time to type and correct it, on the iPhone 5 you have to think about it twice, is it worth yet another 1% of battery just to correct a post? Maybe not ... GRRRRR

Love the RX100, it's rendered my D5100 redundant. I don't know what the AF is like on the X10, but the the RX100 is light years ahead of the X100 that I had before.

I have the x10 and love it. I used to think "I wish it was better for low light" but then realised "oh yeah, that's what I have my D7000 for..."

I wanted (specifically) the x10 for its controls, portability, looks, lens quality, raw capturing & wide aperture throughout the zoom range. Low light shooting wasn't part of my necessity list as I don't expect this from a compact.

I doubt the rx100 has a huge amount of difference in that department anyway. Yes the rx100 has a larger sensor, but it's over a stop slower at the long end of its tele range. Horses for courses.

What do you want a compact for...?

Answer that and you have your answer :)

I have the x10 and love it. I used to think "I wish it was better for low light" but then realised "oh yeah, that's what I have my D7000 for..."

I wanted (specifically) the x10 for its controls, portability, looks, lens quality, raw capturing & wide aperture throughout the zoom range. Low light shooting wasn't part of my necessity list as I don't expect this from a compact.

I doubt the rx100 has a huge amount of difference in that department anyway. Yes the rx100 has a larger sensor, but it's over a stop slower at the long end of its tele range. Horses for courses.

What do you want a compact for...?

Answer that and you have your answer :)

Portability, but would rather not pay the £450 of the RX100 if the X10 is just as good even if it is not as compact... :)

I just bought a Lumix LX7 and am awaiting delivery.

Just throwing a spanner in the works!

I have had an LX3 and didn't get along with it at all... don't ask why I just didn't. Also I do want something with a bigger sensor than what you can find on your typical P&S. If I was to go for the LX7 I'd simply choose the RX100 as it is smaller with much bigger sensor.

vrapan said:
I have had an LX3 and didn't get along with it at all... don't ask why I just didn't. Also I do want something with a bigger sensor than what you can find on your typical P&S. If I was to go for the LX7 I'd simply choose the RX100 as it is smaller with much bigger sensor.

Nothing else does 720/120fps.

Images look good.

Small sensor doesn't scare me, the images look great up to ISO800.

Back