Xbox 360 Or Ps3? Advice Required.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, looking to buy a games console and have previously owned the following: PlayStation, Ps2 and Xbox 360 (packed up). I like car games and Guitar Hero. I also have two daughters aged 3 and 9 so looking to purchase games for them also. I havent had a console for a couple of years and looking at the offers available is doing my head in lol. Not looking to spend anymore than £250 tops. Thanks in advance.

snoop69 said:
Hi all, looking to buy a games console and have previously owned the following: PlayStation, Ps2 and Xbox 360 (packed up). I like car games and Guitar Hero. I also have two daughters aged 3 and 9 so looking to purchase games for them also. I havent had a console for a couple of years and looking at the offers available is doing my head in lol. Not looking to spend anymore than £250 tops. Thanks in advance.

For car games nothing beat gran turismo 5 which is a ps3 exclusive. Little big planet 1&2 are great games for the young ones and is another exclusive for ps3. If you go the ps3 route you'll also get a Blu-ray player which I love, and not have to pay to play games online. Guess which side of the fence I sit? :D

For car games nothing beats Forza 4 :p

Can you get a 360 & kinect bundle for that price? If so that's what I'd go for. (if you have the space for it)

Both consoles are good but the 360 win for me with a far more comfortable to hold controller, kinect, & a superior live service. (even though you need to pay a small fee for it)

Both are good so buy a 360 because they are cheaper. like h20 says. Forza is really good

PS3 or XBOX = Canon or Nikon. They're both good at what they do and most are diehard one or the other.

Clearly however, the first choice should be PS3 (and Canon incidentally)

I fear all you're going to get here is individual biased opinion and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer (as long as you choose PS3). GT5 is excellent - Forza 4 is a worthy second place but not nearly as good. Plenty folk will say the exact opposite however.

Good luck and have fun whatever you choose.

PS3 all day, too many faults with the 360 IMHO, plus the PS3 is great as a multimedia console with all the iplayer and music apps, FREE online gaming and of course the integrated Blu-Ray player.

Matt

We have 2 ps3's and 1 xbox. My oldest son and I prefer the playstation but my yougest son argues the xbox is better. Never liked that boy ;)

Flip a coin

PS3 all day, too many faults with the 360 IMHO

That was a concern of mine to be honest. The Ps3 is looking good at the mo. Any good horse games for the 9yr old i could look at? The 3yr old likes Barbie bless. Thanks for the replies so far.

sheesh...them pesky fanboys :D

both systems have pro's and con's...

If it boils down to price, don't forget to factor in the cost of xbox live. Over a period of say 3 years the gold membership will add around £100 ontop of the price you paid for the console.

Modern 360's are far more reliable than the older designs. The PS3 is not exactly bullet proof either.

You'll probs be happy with either but which is best will depend on EXACTLY what you'll be using it for.

The 360 has cross game party chat which means I can chat to all my friends all night for free. Big phone bill saver IF you're friends use 360s as well. Not so useful otherwise.

Blue-ray in the PS3 is a winner if you have a collection of discs, useless expense otherwise. I just download films to my xbox , saves leaving the house.

If you have a bit of space kinect is very good for the kids and it'll let you navigate your whole dash via voice command &/ or hand gestures which is sometimes useful

Whichever you choose it'll likely be a good choice. :)

Ive owned both consoles and much prefer the PS3.

Mainly because it double as a bluray player, and I dont have to pay £40 a year to play online.

I actually use the console for films more than games these days, MW3, F1 2011, Dirt 3 and Little Big Planet (pretty fun game, I love it) . Thats about it :)

I'd avoid Kinect/PSMove, seems very over rated and a novelty thing

To be honest i have both and the xbox with the kinect wins hands down with a 4 year old, she loves it due to no buttons to press just jump up and down waving her arms and now you can use voice control too.

Oh and Forza 4 is fab

Ive owned both consoles and much prefer the PS3.

Mainly because it double as a bluray player, and I dont have to pay £40 a year to play online.

I actually use the console for films more than games these days, MW3, F1 2011, Dirt 3 and Little Big Planet (pretty fun game, I love it) . Thats about it :)

I'd avoid Kinect/PSMove, seems very over rated and a novelty thing

I have the PSmove and there is some really fun games for my 3 yr old to play, educational ones also.

Other than that its yet to blow me away.

Bring back sega mega drive all is forgiven

I have the PSmove and there is some really fun games for my 3 yr old to play, educational ones also.

Other than that its yet to blow me away.

Bring back sega mega drive all is forgiven

For Sonic and Flashback only though

the most underated console ever has to be the Sega Dreamcast....still have mine :)

I've just bought a PS3, I'm not big on gaming but have a few. I mostly use it for its bluray and media streaming capabilities and am very impressed so far
I know nothing about the xbox so perhaps my answer isnt that helpful !

its a big thumbs up for the ps3 tho

we have both and I have swayed more the PS3 way and my son has gone the 360...

2 daughters aged 3 and 9 is shouting out Xbox Kinect, I have never seen motion technology so good, Dance Central, Kinectimals and the new Disneyland Adventures Kinect, you will surely be Dad of the year..

if it was just for you the deciding factor would be what your mates have.

Another +1 for the ps3 for pretty much all the reasons above, even the very accurate Move has its fun moments though it could be further developed. There seems to be more titles coming out now though.

I have however been tempted by the kinect! And no doubt the xbox games are great too. Interestingly the ps3 disc being blu ray holds something like 9.5X the information of an Xbox disc which is DVD so the potential for the games is technically greater on that reasoning.

I think you'd be happy with either unless you wanna go online for free, watch tv on it for free, and watch hd blu ray movies. Then you'd benefit more from a ps3.

We had this argument for weeks before we got the xbox 360 but after about 2weeks games that the kids wanted came out on the ps3 only (no I don't know what games lol ) so we now have both as so many games are only one one or the other. So the right answer is both so you get full choice of games , but remember the ps3 is FREE to play online and has a blue ray player 2 things the xbox will never have

Xbox has Halo and Gears of war enough of a reason to get an xbox:)
It's the games that matters have a look at which one that has the games that you like.

Last edited:
db247 said:
Interestingly the ps3 disc being blu ray holds something like 9.5X the information of an Xbox disc which is DVD so the potential for the games is technically greater on that reasoning.

Technically yes. But Skyrim is only a 3.8 gig install. The limiting factors with games on this gen are the limited half gig of ram (& other outdated components) and the stupidly fast development times (CODs 2 year cycle for example).
Disc space is not a big deal when you can install everything to the hard drive.

Technically yes. But Skyrim is only a 3.8 gig install. The limiting factors with games on this gen are the limited half gig of ram (& other outdated components) and the stupidly fast development times (CODs 2 year cycle for example).
Disc space is not a big deal when you can install everything to the hard drive.

quite correct...but it must be annoying when you buy, say, Battlefield 3 for the 360 and find out it's on 2 discs

had both, prefere the ps3 and yes the ps3 is slightly dearer but it does have a 3d bluray player to which player everything, + online gaming is free and everybit as good as the xbox online.both have good games, but then i have had 2 xboxes pack up and my playstation that i got the first week of lanch is still going.

Last edited:
antihero said:
quite correct...but it must be annoying when you buy, say, Battlefield 3 for the 360 and find out it's on 2 discs

Not really as it's split into one disc for single player and one for multiplayer. You never need to swap mid game that way.

The only multi disc game that's ever been a annoyance to me was star ocean: the last hope. It was split over 4 discs in a VERY annoying way that caused a silly amount of disc swapping.

The simple solution is either to download games using 'games on demand' or for games to be designed to just require a installed multi disc game to have only disc one in the drive for verification.

Many thanks for all the replies guys but I decided today to purchase
a used XBox 360 package from a local shop.

I figured that I probably wouldnt be buying any Blue Ray discs & do not
really have the time to play online (especially when kids are home)

It is the 250gb unit with 2 wireless controllers (one new in box) with :-

Spare controller battery
Controller lead for charging/playing

Guitar Hero Warriors Of Rock (with new guitar)
Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (over 40 games) for the little one
Call Of Duty 4
Forza 4

All boxed with 6mths warranty £150

Looked like a good price :)

snoop69 said:
Many thanks for all the replies guys but I decided today to purchase
a used XBox 360 package from a local shop.

I figured that I probably wouldnt be buying any Blue Ray discs & do not
really have the time to play online (especially when kids are home)

It is the 250gb unit with 2 wireless controllers (one new in box) with :-

Spare controller battery
Controller lead for charging/playing

Guitar Hero Warriors Of Rock (with new guitar)
Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (over 40 games) for the little one
Call Of Duty 4
Forza 4

All boxed with 6mths warranty £150

Looked like a good price :)

A good deal, I'm sure you and your family will love it (y)

You purchased the better console IMO and I own both. Never use my ps3 not even for blurays, I have a bluray player for that. I got my ps3 on release day. Paid a fortune for it. Kept it for a year and sold it in favor of an Xbox because all my mates had xboxes. I then recently purchased another ps3 when gt5 was finally released. I sold the console and game within a week of buying it. Gt5 was a major let down. Plus I'd rather pay for my online gaming than have it free and risk of being hacked.

I'm not a fan boy at all but the Xbox is much better in my opinion. Even the feel of the controller is better. You will enjoy the 360 I've had a couple now and sold on some but I've never not once had a problem with an Xbox. new ones are pretty good. Plus kinnect is great if you have kids. That way they won't throw a controller through your tv.

You will always get arguments for both. I prefer the Xbox as its the better console. End of story. ;)

GT5 and Forza4 have great graphics and nothing more. You want a decent driving game, you'd do better with Codemasters TOCA Touring cars, it's only the graphics that let it down. Any driving game by Codemasters blows the back doors off anything from Forza or GT stables. So much easier to get a feel for the way the car will handle. Forza and GT just want to wheelspin as a controller just can't give you the necessary feedback you'd get from driving a real car, which is pointless in my opinion.

Xbox for me as the controller felt normal to me where as the PS3 controls feel a tad small and not right. Like we say feel a camera before you buy.

On the failure rate the modern xbox has all but eradicated it so it's not going to break saying that Ive got a launch week xbox still going strong.

GT5 and Forza4 have great graphics and nothing more. You want a decent driving game, you'd do better with Codemasters TOCA Touring cars, it's only the graphics that let it down. Any driving game by Codemasters blows the back doors off anything from Forza or GT stables. So much easier to get a feel for the way the car will handle. Forza and GT just want to wheelspin as a controller just can't give you the necessary feedback you'd get from driving a real car, which is pointless in my opinion.

GT5 is pretty much my favourite game, but I do find most of the supercars too difficult to control with the hand controller and impossible online if the server settings doesn't allow traction control. A Logitech steering wheel and pedals makes a huge difference in that respect and transforms the game, but each to his own I suppose :D

On the reliability side, the xbox360 has never missed a beat, my sons 'fat' PS3 died and he brought it back to life with a hair dryer :LOL:

Last edited:
Well im happy with the purchase & so are the kids which is the main thing :thinking: I think :LOL:

Just finished playing rock god & may have a little bash at C.O.D. before
bed.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated (y)

Back