XCSource Tripod (Carbon Fibre)

Edit My Images
No
Looking to pick up a lightweight and small (when folded) travel tripod and having considered the Manfrotto befree, Mefoto and Benro I came across this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Pr..._sbs_ph_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=092QKP4MRQ0MZKHXW1X5

Which stated CF legs and yet comes in under £90, the reviews seem up universally positive but whether they are 'placed' to boost the sales I really can't tell, there also seems to be an upgraded model here http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE[em...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1431935561&sr=1-2&keywords=999c and this still for under £100 and using the same 999C reference another seller on Amazon seems to have this for £89.95 so the same as the 666C at the top.

I generally work in the old adage of if its too cheap to be true etc. but I'm struggling to find a reason not to go for one of these, weighing in less than 1.4kg folded under 40cm and seemingly with perfect reveiews too?

I did a search on TP but couldn't find a single buyer/user which worries me so thought I would ask before pushing the button and potentially wasting time/money on something that's not as good as it appears?

Thanks in advance

I've watched this and a couple of other video reviews and the comments on whether DSLR/Lens works vs lightweight is one of the concerns I have!

There's a lot there for the money, but don't expect great quality. The legs will have a lot of flex in them. I know that ball head - it's not the best...

I saw some comments on the ball head (heavy/not too smooth etc) but I was working on assumption I may change it anyway so it was more the strength/usability of the tripod itself that was of interest.

Well decided to buy one and have to say very impressed, really solid (to be fair final leg extensions not out but tall enough without them) ball head is actually quite heavy so may look to replace that for a lighter one which should make the whole package a bit lighter still but for travel use with relative security/robustness I would say very much on a par with the Manfrottos etc. will review a bit more when used out and about

I have the beefree and use it for my M4/3rds OMD E-M10 Olympus. its does everything I need it to including inverting the stem and splaying the legs to get to ground level (which it doesn't state it can do). I have to stoop around 12-18 inches with it fully extended (6'2), Its very compact and lightweight, its a perfect small size to fit in a rucksack etc.

As great as it is, and I really love the little thing, I wouldn't dare use it for a full size DSLR, especially with any heavy or long lens.

I have a 7100 and 17-55 f2.8 so fairly heavy combo and felt safe as houses on the 666 but I guess until going out and about I won't stake my life on it quite yet ;)

Actually just weighed the ball head and 370g so not exactly a beast and it is pretty smooth too so may keep it for the time being.

Back