XD card error - recovery proving difficult - help!!!!!!!

Edit My Images
No
Got an 1gb XD card in Jan from the FUJI shop as part of the deal with my refurb s8100fd.
Been working fine to date. However all went pear shaped yestday. On camera playback of images - got 'Card not initialised' error.
Tried accessing card via several readers. No joy - Card not formatted error.
Had cunning plan. Formatted card so it could be read, then ran freeware photo recovery utility 'Art Plus Photo Recovery', to extract files.
All appeared to work OK but the files it's generated are of no use to me. I have 135 files (which seems about right). 4 successful photos (unfortunately the ones I did not want - sods law), one massive ~1gb 'image' file, and the rest are ~30kb files.
So it looks like the jpg's are all joined together in one huge file.
Is there something else that is more likely to work? I don't want to go out and buy something if its going to do the same as the Art Plus utility.

I think so yes. Although the drives could see the card, none would look at it - came back as unformatted.
Anyway - thats where we are. Its now formatted.

Will Sandisk utility work with any card Don't think it's a sandisk XD. Camera & card not with me at the moment so can't confirm make.

I would recommend, before going any further, taking it to someone with a linux machine, and performing a clone of the card.
Unfortunately, by formatting it, you will have wiped out the primary FAT partition. It is however, possible that the secondary/backup FAT partition is still valid. If this is the case, then it should be possible to tell the system to use this, and recover the files.
The FAT stands for File Access/Attribute Table, it stores the names of files, and where they start and finish on the card.

Back