Xi'an - The City Walls

Edit My Images
Yes
On our way back from the pagoda we went up the City Walls. 40 feet wide, 50 feet high and 8 miles in length makes for an impressive set of walls. You can hire a bike to ride round them.

#1 - a guard tower

3278766997_f05d3f2d8b_o.jpg

#2 - an indication of the width and length of the walls

3279588068_de9451a679_o.jpg

#3 - the only building on the walls with no military use, it's for prayers

3278767229_dbddf9307d_o.jpg

#4 - the moat house and drawbridge

3279588326_857886c06c_o.jpg

Thanks for looking

Excellent set Russell - thanks for sharing.

Do like the old/new contrast in no 2.

Thanks Tom. Xi'an is full of things to see and photograph. I would go back in the hope of finding better weather - and it's a long way to go. I would rate Xi'an with Paris and London as a place to see and photograph.

Seems a shame the weather is against you. These sort of things would look so much better in some good light. Not commenting in all your threads but i'm looking :)

Those walls are truly immense on a whole other scale. I prefer the first couple, a combination of the sense of scale in the first and the mix of old and new in the second.

Great shots, Brings back great memories, Where you disappointed with the terracotta warriors? I was. Just read your other thread:bonk:

Last edited:
Hi Russell!
Good shots of Xi'an did you visit the muslim street whilst you where there ? I am off to Xi'an and Guillin at the end of March for some photo shoots as well!

Cheers,

Andrew

Seems a shame the weather is against you. These sort of things would look so much better in some good light. Not commenting in all your threads but i'm looking :)

Thanks for looking, my GLW so liked Xi'an and Shanghai that she wants to go back in better weather. My cousin was in Xi'an when it was sunny and he got some great images of the walls.

Those walls are truly immense on a whole other scale. I prefer the first couple, a combination of the sense of scale in the first and the mix of old and new in the second.

Thanks john, I'm with you on the second image. There are lots of images in China were you can't separate the two, just like there are images where the presence of people is unavoidable. If you think what the volume of stone is in the Xi'an walls then I guess that it must be more than the Great Pyramid.

Great shots, Brings back great memories, Where you disappointed with the terracotta warriors? I was. Just read your other thread:bonk:

Thanks, I was disappointed with the presentation of the warriors. They have survived 2200 years and I'm sure a bit more light would not hurt them.

Hi Russell!
Good shots of Xi'an did you visit the muslim street whilst you where there ? I am off to Xi'an and Guillin at the end of March for some photo shoots as well!

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I have posted a thread of the Muslim street market - you could have days of photographic fun there. The BanPo and Terracotta Army do need the fastest lens you have as the light is dire. The Guilling river contains some great images, my cousin took a lot of photos - the best of which were the interaction of the Chinese with the river and the buildings on the side of the river. He got a great shot of a water buffalo in the river. Good luck with the trip.

Back