XP question

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
i have a copy of XP home on my computer which was preinstalled from new, so i dont have a cd, and i wish to reinstall, i do however have an XP proffessional sp2 cd. can i use this cd to install xphome functionality or do i need to search about and find (i.e download) a copy of the xphome cd to use with my code.

any help would be great :)

Don't you have a recovery disc which came with the PC? Or a recovery partition - that's what they're tending to do a lot now.

Your code for the Home Edition will not activate the Pro edition mate..;)

i dont want to activate pro, i just need the install files (to reinstall xphome) and wasnt sure if the cd's were shared between the different version (im sure someone in the past has mentioned to me that bar the printing all windows xp cd;s are the same and its the code you use that dictates the install version, i just wanted to find out if this is indeed b******t or whether its true)

i ahve a recovery partition but i dont want to use it due to problems ive had with previous recoveries, i want to remove all the acer b******t from the computer and just have a fresh xp install from the cd :)

looks like ill be torrenting for an xphome cd iso

The two versions are completly different and the sam cd can't be used to install different versions.

Maybe worth contacting your retailer and seeing if they can sell you the correct cd.

I downloaded a copy of xphome with SP2 and installed it with my legit home key as the disc I had was old and near to an original version. Activated no problem.

Can't you borrow a vanilla xphome from someone and just use your key?

RobertP, was your key previously used on another PC? I want to install my xp on my new machine and it would be ideal if it would work with my original licence key.. :)

No it was an unused unbranded oem license I had at work and I kept it (and a lot of other junk) when I closed the business. Which reminds me I must get round to listing the junk on ebay :)

Think I read somewhere the activation record expires after 6 months so you might be able to activate it with no problem. If there is a problem you can phone them and explain how the old one broke so you had to upgrade the stuff in the same case and they will give you a code... assuming that is what you did :)

Thanks for that, it's all above board so hopefully it'll work out that way! Can't spend any more money!

so i downloaded xphome from the internet, burnt it to cd, formatted my laptop and reinstalled xphome from the cd, came to enter the cd code as printed on the label under my computer and suprise suprise it didnt bloody work, tells me the code is invalid (dispite it being an acer sticker as included on the laptop from new, NOT ****ING HAPPY

are xphome OEM and xphome retail different in any way that would cause this? as it is im about to chuck the ****ing thing out of the window because its less than no use! my other option would just be to bite the bullet and buy an oem copy of windows from a reseller on the internet and hope i have more luck

as it is i cant access anything on my computer now!

Back