Xpan and Ektar 100

Composition is a breeze, everything seems to have some appeal in this format!

The straightness of these pictures smack you in the face.....hard, for such a wide format, they're just beautifully straight.

I can't think of a way to replicate that with an ordinary 120 6x7 frame, a wide angle 50 is going to be distorted, an 80 is going to be too narrow, you'd have to shoot 2 frames with an 80 and join them together......which is poop

Sure there are 120 pano cameras but they are really just skinny large format, 6x12 6x17 fall outside the coverage of an average enlarger, in fact 6x17 is a bit nutz altogether.

I've got a lot of time for Xpan and virtually anything it shoots

When I first started with the Xpan, a lot of pictures were squint and looked exaggerated because of the format. Ive learn to take the frame lines in the viewfinder as my leveller. These shots were all handheld.

There is a couple on the roll which I have straightened in Lightroom, but my hit rate is getting a lot better!

The Xpan is a cracking and simple piece of kit.

I should clarify that when I say 'straighten' Im referring to the horizon, not the perspective if you get my meaning!

Last edited:
Really nice shots - I like the first and last ones especially. Interesting to see the DOF achieved with the 90mm as well, on the shot with the mossy stump - thanks for posting!

These are really lovely. I particularly like 3 and 5 here. :)

Love these landscape captures Iain, great composition and colours, superb film that Ektar. Is Ektar film hard to find in 120 format?

Regards;
Peter
Central Scotland

Back