XTOL Developer clarfication

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Found a great recipe I want to try but my first time getting my head round mixing up my own developer etc

The recipe says: " across 100 @ 400 - XTOL (Stock) 12.25 minutes, (one minute initial agitation, followed ten seconds every minute after)." -- gives you this

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j109/j109.pdf

^link to fact sheet

(STOCK) - Does that mean the tog mixed it up 1:1?

Also, shop only sells 5L worth of powder. I really don't need 5L worth of dev just sitting in my bathroom. If I open the bag up and say, take 2L worth (40%) of the powder and mix it up - so I have 1L... does the powder keep? Or do I need to get hold of a 5L container and mix it all up at once.

:thinking:

Last edited:
That means that the stock solution that's made up from the powder is undiluted and is just the stock being used. When XTOL originally came out Kodak did market 1L bags but there were issues with air leaking into the packaging and causing the developer to suddenly fail or not respond properly or become difficult to mix as it was becoming oxidised. In the end after trying several times to improve the packaging, rather than spend much more on completely re-developing the packaging to correct these issues, Kodak just discontinued the 1L size. They also stopped publishing times for dilutions greater than 1:1 as XTOL responded poorly in differing waters when diluted more than that.

Don't bother starting to try splitting the powder, it will just end up becoming difficult as its designed for the whole lot to be mixed and the powder will begin to become oxidised like with the 1L packs. Whilst the best way is to get a 5L tank, some people mix it up to 1 or 2L's and dilute it more when they need it although that does of course increase the complexity. There are recommendations for this in the datasheet.

Thanks for the response Samuel am with you I think.

So said recipe is just the powder mixed with 5L of water as per instructions data sheet. And the tog when it came to processing did not further dilute this as you normally would - he just poured in the developer. Sweet.

Think I will just invest in a decent 5L tank of some sort!

Back