Yashica 24 - where to buy film?

davekiddle

Like to feel muppets
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just been loaned a Yashica 24 by a mate (with a view to buy). It's my first foray into MF film. It already has half a roll of slide film in it which I'll soon use up. Where's the cheapest place to buy 220 film, and where can I send it to be developed?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

It's not easy to get these days, very few films are made in 220. Portra is, though it's quite expensive and not available widely: http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/portra-400-220-5-pack-2079-p.asp

However I think you can probably use 120 film in the Yashica 24, though you'd need to do a bit of digging online about it. 120 is much more readily available in a wide variety of emulsions.

Developing is less of a problem...most labs will do 220 (eg Peak Imaging).

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't bother with 220 film, it's nowhere near as popular as 120 which means there is less choice. 220 film also means you have to take twice as many photos to finish a roll off before you can develop it!

120 film is available easily over the internet, I've used Firstcall, Silver Print and AG photographic but there are loads of other places too. Are you going to do color neg, slide or b&w?

There are a number of places where you can post your film to and they'll develop them for you and return the negs. They'll also scan them if you don't have access to a film scanner. I use the Darkroom UK for dev only because of their turnaround time but if you want dev and scan with no hassle then UK Film Lab comes highly recommended as they scan your film and send you the files.

Careful about shooting film though, once you start you won't be able to stop!

Hi Dave,

Here's a few answers. Have a look at the 5th one down, it seems to suggest that on some of the 24's there is 120 start mark which would indicate it is ok to use, but it may lead to slightly softer images at bigger apertures. Worth having a go with a roll though, just to see what happens.

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/000ha0

Andy

Hi Dave;

I know there's many 120 format b/w films out there, but have a look at Fomapan b/w film, it comes in 100asa/200asa/400asa speeds. Available from most UK photographic outlets no problem if you do a search. Good advice above, I'd stick with 120 film instead of 220.

Here's a link below to flickr where you should be able to view images taken with Fomapan 120 b/w film.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=fomapan 120&sort=relevance

Regards;
Peter

Thanks Francesco. One roll of HP5 120 ordered to experiment with!
As suggested above you may get better results with the lens stopped down a bit to get around the difference in using 120 which has backing paper, though I'd also try one or two at or near wide open to see if it really is an issue. Good luck Dave!

I would heartily recommend Fomapan as well. It's about half the price of films such as FP4 and HP5 but it's pretty good, especially to start off with in case you screw up.

I started using Fomapan 100 when I started shooting large format because it was literally a third of the price of FP4, but I've got on really well with it so far so in going to stick with it and shoot three times as much

I've read that Fomapan 100 is quite good. I've used the 400 version and it's horrible and grainy and the emulsion is very soft.

Dave,

As others have said, I would't bother with 220. I have a Yashica 24 and I have modified it to take 120 film so that it will be properly exposed and in focus! All you will need is a 'Post It' note, scissors and some sticky tape believe it or not!

The first modification is putting four small rectangular pieces of 'Post It' note on the film rails. The adhesive end of the Pots it is almost exactly the thickness of most manufacturers film backing paper. The post in note rectangles will lift the pressure plate just enough for the camera to think it it has 220 film loaded. The second modification is to put a maker for the start point for 120 film.

Excuse the poor iPhone pics but the first one shows the 'Post It' note pieces and the second shows the start point for 120 film. My Yashica 24 has a factory sticker for the 120 start point, the later models like mine had this sticker added so you know it is in the right place.

1. Post It Note pieces, they look white in this shot and are the outer bright rectangles.
16946592942_dc4ac2fc47_o.jpg

2. This is the factory sticker showing the start point for 120 film, the red triangle shows the start point, i.e. the position the start arrows on the film backing paper should be when you shut the back of the camera.
16761715199_abd8a2521b_o.jpg

Hope this all helps.

Proof it all works:

Two shots with the Yashinon lens wide open at f3.5 (note to self, try and keep the negs straight in the holder when scanning!)
15388379647_9b2bc60ed5_c.jpg

14953626184_56cfa2623c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Adrian;

Great info, and fabulous images....! Which b/w film where used for those superb photo's?

Thanks;
peter

Peter, thanks for he kind comment. The film is Shanghai GP3. I prefer it to Fomopan, it is about the same price. I find it has a great tonal range and IMHO, better exposure latitude than Fomapan. I have read loads of horror stories about it GP3 on the web, spots, problems with bleed from the backing paper and badly curly and thin neg, in 20 rolls I have had none of these issues. The only thing you need to remember is that the at the end of the roll there is no adhesive sticker to seal it, so I carry some making tape in my Billingham!

As suggested above you may get better results with the lens stopped down a bit to get around the difference in using 120 which has backing paper

That shouldn't make any difference as the emulsion will be in the same place. The difference is that the gap between the rails the film sits on and the pressure plate will be sufficient for the the thickness of film but not quite wide enough for film and backing paper. It might work but the tight fit could lead to it being difficult to wind on.

The pressure plate does not apply pressure to the film (as its name might imply) but it rests on a second set of rails outside of the film area leaving a gap for the film to pass through. Sticking strips of paper to these rails would move the pressure plate back leaving enough gap for 120 film.

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/michaeliu/cameras/nikonf/fbody/images/illusfilmplate.gif

EDIT:
The first modification is putting four small rectangular pieces of 'Post It' note on the film rails. The adhesive end of the Pots it is almost exactly the thickness of most manufacturers film backing paper.

Yes. Just like that. I posted the above before I read your reply!

Steve.

Last edited:
Unlike everyone else, I really like using 220 and wouldn't mind picking up a Yashica 24 myself as my current TLR only takes 120.

220 film is great for travel; it's all I used in Poland last week with my Bronica. If everyone else wants to carry twice the film, be my guest. :)

Unlike everyone else, I really like using 220 and wouldn't mind picking up a Yashica 24 myself as my current TLR only takes 120.

220 film is great for travel; it's all I used in Poland last week with my Bronica. If everyone else wants to carry twice the film, be my guest. :)
Fair enough, you pay your money.... and I can sort of understand that you get more shots before you need to change rolls, but you are very limited on film choices and 220 Portra actually costs more than twice 120.

I doubt it will be around for long also.

Strangely my Fuji GW690III can take 120, 220 or half length rolls that give only 4 frames of 6x9. Now I've never even heard of that film, never mind know what it's called.

Last edited:
Adrian;

Thanks for that info...!

Where does one get the hold of Shanghai GP3 120 film can I ask? What film speeds does it come in?

It's 100 ISO, and eBay has plenty of Chinese sellers - about £21 for 10 rolls.

Protip: pre-soak before development to wash out the dye.

Adrian;

Thanks for that info...!

Where does one get the hold of Shanghai GP3 120 film can I ask? What film speeds does it come in?

Thanks;
Peter

Peter, I pick mine up from eBay sellers, if you do a quick search you will find quite a few outlets, it gets cheaper the more you buy!

Personally, I have shot a lot of 220, it is very handy so in principle I agree with RJ about its usefulness. The down side is the price. Unless I am missing something in terms of a reasonably priced supplier, it seems very expensive compared to the unit price of 120. If there is a cheap supply some where that would be great. I have 220 backs for my Blad and Bronie's!

Fair enough, you pay your money.... and I can sort of understand that you get more shots before you need to change rolls, but you are very limited on film choices and 220 Portra actually costs more than twice 120.

I doubt it will be around for long also.

Strangely my Fuji GW690III can take 120, 220 or half length rolls that give only 4 frames of 6x9. Now I've never even heard of that film, never mind know what it's called.

Well, I see folks finding all sorts of excuses on the forum to buy smaller cameras for travel, so what's a few pounds more for 220 to make travelling easier?

At any rate, I've actually been paying less for 220 recently than 120. I got 9 rolls of expired Portra 400NC for £10 total a month or two ago and bought two fresh boxes of Portra 400 for £58.

It's 100 ISO, and eBay has plenty of Chinese sellers - about £21 for 10 rolls.

Protip: pre-soak before development to wash out the dye.

Oh, and Protip2: get some sticky tape, because it doesn't come with any to seal the exposed roll.

Personally, I have shot a lot of 220, it is very handy so in principle I agree with RJ about its usefulness. The down side is the price. Unless I am missing something in terms of a reasonably priced supplier, it seems very expensive compared to the unit price of 120. If there is a cheap supply some where that would be great. I have 220 backs for my Blad and Bronie's!

I usually just keep my eye open for any deals on 220 anywhere on the internet and I've been pretty lucky of late, although I haven't really found one consistent source. Some sites in continental Europe have had some really good deals going recently because of the drop in value of the Euro compared to the pound.

OK, finished the roll that was in the camera when I got it. I was told it was slide film, but it is actually HP5!

So, where to get 220 HP5 developed and scanned?

OK, finished the roll that was in the camera when I got it. I was told it was slide film, but it is actually HP5!

You should be able to go anywhere that processes traditional black and white in 120 format, as 220 format is the same thing as 120, just twice the length. There are many labs to choose from.

Dave, I send my 220 to AG they dev and scan for the same price as 120 Bargain.

Back