Yashica 635 - first trial - newbie to oldschool!

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
I bought this Yashica at the end of last year, under the impression that it was in full working order off a member on here. So, with a couple of rolls of Ektar 100 120mm film and not a clue how to use it, I went and took a few pics over the festive period to see what's what.

Yes, there's a few rotters in there and more than a couple of double-exposures, but I'm happy! It works, I'm not a million miles away regarding the metering (done on my phone) and I'm pretty sure it'll glean some great results in the future.

I must add, I used to do a bit of digital photography, but everything is kinda done for you, so if it didn't work, there was always the chance to do it again. Not really the case when it's a fiver a roll and processing / scanning and printing works out at £15 a bash! :LOL:

Anyway, I'll put a couple of shots up :)

Firstly, my daughter's hair!

24981032675_74fb584238_c.jpg

24354150953_43e0cdf105_c.jpg

24887693821_5e232dd56e_c.jpg

24354104443_905c6a3e07_c.jpg

24350366004_ebefb3f43c_c.jpg

24954634666_3b015f54a0_c.jpg

Last edited:
I was just going to click the LIKE button but I have read they are thinking of scraping it, so.....better day something.
I like the first one the hair colour is wonderful just like my Mum's and my Sister's, well Mum's faded a bit as she got older but that is how I remember it as a kid.
The last one is a keeper for sure also the one above of the dog.
The double exposures are very creative I think they actually work particularly the second one.

Well done, Keep at it....

That's certainly a beautiful head of hair and a lovely colour to boot. Ektar has probably helped make a little more pronounced as it is supposed to be quite a vivid film particularly red. Also like the saab 96 shot too, but then I'd be biased there as I'm a big fan of the marque. The last two shots are definitely the best of the lot though, nicely composed and faultless exposure.

Superb work particularly as these were your first shots using an unfamiliar camera.

Exposures good. Scanned how? Bokeh not brilliant (trees in shot 1). Contre jour landscape a bit difficult (shot 2). Shot 3 awkward but fun - shot 4 evocative (saved by the Saab - remeber Erik?) ...

Cheers chaps.

They were all processed by C41, a very quick turnaround.

Roll on some nice weather for lighting.

You've gotten some nice contrasty images there, and some cracking colours. I think the first and last are very nearly wonderful - they'd have benefited from a better arrangement of the horses, but of course, if you're taking them candidly rather than posed, that's a bit much to ask. As you say, if you'd been taking digital, you could have snapped a hundred and picked the best, but where's the fun in that, eh? :D

The first double exposure is really nice. I think it might actually have been even better without the shadow of you - I really like the creative effect of the textures, and the shadow rather takes attention away from that.

Nice first set. Welcome to the best bit of the forums!

A very good first set,the composition and BG in most of the single exposure shots could improve the photographs,they are a bit distracting in #1,4 and 5.

#1 your daughters hair is beautiful and if you had isolated her with a more attractive BG it would have made a much better photograph.
#4 Very well controlled exposure and a pleasing image. The top BG is to distracting to the eye.
#5 without the other pony and that traffic cone it would have been your best without doubt.

well done and welcome to F&C.

Back