Yashica 635 not working, help gratefully accepted

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

So I bought a Yashica 635 from Fleabay, appears to be in mint condition but I can't get the shutter to fire no matter what I do

The aperture and shutter speed dials both turn and the numbers change in the little window on top of the lens.

Twist 120 film advance and the frame numbers show as expected. Focus moves the lens assembly in and out so no probs there.

When you try to cock the shutter the lever depresses and there is a slight click, then pressing the shutter there is no resistance and you can see the shutter move a millimeter or so through the lens. But that is all it does and the self timer lever does nothing either, it moves a few mm at best.

I've downloaded the manual and I appear to be doing things right, but still no joy.

Can anyone offer help please? I've uploaded a Youtube video to show the problem in real time.

Many thanks.

It sounds like the shutter has got a bit gunked up so if it was sold as fully working I'd send it back and if it was a 'sold for spares' then you can either send off to someone like Miles Whitehead for a CLA, have a go yourself or bite the bullet and whack it back on ebay.

Thanks for replying Nick.

Sticky shutter was my thoughts too, camera was sold as "in excellent condition", no faults were mentioned so I thought I was buying a working example.

I only payed £41 and something tells me the CLA will be a lot more than that!

Once you've paid postage both ways you're looking at about £60ish for a basic CLA, Miles is good but you'll end up with what is after all a fairly basic TLR, there are better TLR's out there available for the £100 pound mark. I've had a couple of 635's and although they're good fun theyre not worth £100 unless it's mint, boxed and complete with the 35mm adapter kit.

Last edited:
Once you've paid postage both ways you're looking at about £60ish for a basic CLA, Miles is good but you'll end up with what is after all a fairly basic TLR, there are better TLR's out there available for the £100 pound mark. I've had a couple of 635's and although they're good fun theyre not worth £100 unless it's mint, boxed and complete with the 35mm adapter kit.

That's what I thought a CLA would be, it makes the camera an expensive purchase and like you said, I could get a better camera for £100.

It is in mint condition apart from fault, but does not come with 35mm adapter kit, I will have to weigh up the pro's and cons of my next decision.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Back