Yashica Electro 35 GTN

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone shooting with one of these?

Just bagged myself one and wondering what to expect, I believe it’s been serviced, pad of death done and also comes with battery adaptor so believe it runs on LR44’s.

Just wondering what to expect. :)

I tried to buy one last year but it arrived with fungus in the lens and was quickly returned. I was impressed with the viewfinder and the clarity of the rangefinder patch though.

The various reviews across the web are usually all favourable and the lens has a great reputation so I doubt that you will be disappointed. Certainly the example photos that I have seen have all looked nice.

The lens is a cracker, the camera itself is just too big and heavy for me. Or should I say 'was' we are talking 35 years ago since I used one.

They seem to get good reviews definitely! I’d searched for one last year, won one on eBay only for the seller to cancel the auction. That put me off a little then I never really went back to it, I still hanker after one though :)

Do these have the radioactive lenses on too? I read somewhere that Yashica made a 45mm 1.7 that was but didn’t know if it was the one that made its way onto the Electro or not

Dunno about radioactive lenses, can't say as I've heard that and the electro mentioned in the same sentence, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I had one for a while, its a damn attractive thing just to look at, I enjoyed using it and the lens was a great performer.
It is however, a substantial thing, its weighty and not very pocket able, you don't know that till you buy one, nice nice camera though..:)

mine, with veronica

2vt13sn.jpg

Still going strong Eh Dave?

Just found this online, these are just the Yashinon lenses. It seems Eastman Kodak were the most prolific producer of said lenses using Thorium.
  • Yashinon-DS 50mm f/1.4 (Yashica) (Measured at 680 nSv/h)
  • Yashinon-DS 50mm f/1.7 (Yashica) (Measured at 762 nSv/h)
  • Yashinon-DX 50mm f/1.4 (Yashica) (Measured at 1359 nSv/h)
  • Yashinon-DX 50mm f/1.8 (Yashica)
  • Yashinon-DS-M 50mm f/1.4 (Yashica) (Measured at 572 nSv/h)
  • Yashinon-DS-M 50mm f/1.7 (Yashica) (Measured at 798 nSv/h)
  • Yashinon-DS-M 55mm f/1.2 (Yashica) (Measured at 1056 nSv/h)
  • Yashinon-ML 50mm f/1.7 (Yashica) (likely only the older design with 'YASHICA LENS ML 50mm 1:1.7 YASHICA MADE IN JAPAN' writings is radioactive)
  • Yashinon 55mm f1.2 (Tomioka) (also branded as Cosinon, Chinon, Tominon, Tomioka or Revuenon; Measured at 981 nSv/h)
Apparently, living on earth is more dangerous than using one of these lenses as the measurement is 0.01 millirem (mrem) and you receive about 310 mrem of radiation per year from natural background radiation.
Nowt to worry about!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, great info. Rather looking forward to getting it and giving it a try.

@joxby love tha Bronica, looks a real beauty.

Dunno about radioactive lenses, can't say as I've heard that and the electro mentioned in the same sentence, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I had one for a while, its a damn attractive thing just to look at, I enjoyed using it and the lens was a great performer.
It is however, a substantial thing, its weighty and not very pocket able, you don't know that till you buy one, nice nice camera though..:)

mine, with veronica

2vt13sn.jpg

John,

You have the Cadillac of all Bronica,s . Just a beautiful piece of kit.

I've had one in my collection since the tail end of last year, only developed two rolls from it so far - got a few C41 rolls to send off.

I started looking for a TLR and got sidetracked with the Yashica Electro.

A search on ebay and a £20 bid offer on a faulty but mint condition Electro 35 GSN was made and accepted!! It really was mint too, either cased all it's life, never used or recently refurbished.

It had a metering fault, it metered everything slow and left the shutter open infinitely in any mode. I assumed it would be the usual POD or timing rod problems, but they were all good.
With the timing circuit schematics from the service manual I quickly traced the fault to a transistor in the metering circuit, but sadly the later models packaged this part of the circuit in a custom ic that is NLA.

I took a chance on a tatty GTN for £20, which the seller described the metering system as working.
It was indeed tatty, and knocked about - but the metering circuit was good. So I swapped the boards over and now have a nice GSN in fully functioning order, with the GTN good for parts if ever needed.

A very sexy camera in my opinion!!

Yashica Electro 35 GSN by Hallsy01, on Flickr

It's quite bulky, but I tend to just chuck it over my shoulder when out & about.

Worth checking the rangefinder is setup correctly, and double checking the distance scale - both of mine of mine needing tweaking.

Here's one from the first roll I put through it (HP5):

Magdalen College - Oxford by Hallsy01, on Flickr

Enjoy :)

The color-Yashinon 45mm F1.7 lens is excellent, a really great lens.

(I took mine off the camera, which was very dead.)

Back