Yashica FX-3

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I bought one of these at a car-boot for £3.50 from a very nice bloke ( anyone on here by any chance? )

I havnt had a film slr before and its going to be a great experience. The camera isnt in the best condition with most of the leather worn out. Im guessing the A.S.A is something like ISO I have heard. Would love to buy a small flash for it but if im honest I havnt got a clue what works with it. :)

So, does anyone know anything about this camera that could come in handy? :)

how about a manual ?

Oh - and yes - the ASA setting is the ISO number of the film you put in - e.g. 400 for Ilford HP5+, 125 for FP4, 64 for Kodachrome (assuming you can still find some!)

you could buy a simple Metz or I think a Contax TLA20 would be ok on it. I don't think it has any TTL flash capabilitly as it was brought out late 70's?

They are renowed for the leather wearing out but they are pretty reliable, when I saw the title of the thread i actually thought wonder if the leather on the back is worn out by someones thumb holding the camera, they take Contax lenses which are excellent quality.

Did it come with a yashica 50mm f1.7 ? ASA is indeed ISO

Hi There

I use a FX-D, which is another of the FX series camera.

Its a great little camera; the mount is Contax/Yashica (C/Y) mount. Which means it takes the zeiss lens of C/Y mount; arguably one of the best lens in manual focus.

There is a 28mm, 35 mm, 45 mm, 50 mm 85mm and 135 mm zeiss lens o nc/y mount which can go on this camera. All of these lens are lovely; in the class of the Leica glass.

I also sometimes use M42 mount lens with a M42 to C/Y lens adapter ( found on e bay for a tenner. Which means I can use the other legendary lens - the Takumar SMC lens and the Carl Zeiss Jena lens.

All in all; a camera that allows me to use the best manual focus lens available; and I love using it. ( The contax camera, which has the same mount, are possible a bit easier to use, but these Yashica are no slouch either

Get some of these lens, and enjoy the camera

Drop me a PM if you need more info

Ujjwal

Thanks for the manual! You are a saint!

It came with 42-75mm lens chivers, heres a picture:

2a7v48k.jpg

Also thanks for advice on the flash advice, it came out in 1979 according to wiki :)

Thanks ujjwaldey as well, ill be on the search for some lens :) Going to be a fun experience.

***I bought one of these at a car-boot for £3.50 from a very nice bloke ( anyone on here by any chance? )***

Lucky....... some sellers think cos something is old they are all worth something...one seller wanted £150 for a camera you can get on ebay £20-£30..lol
The best bargains are P&S...pick them up for £1-£1.50.
When you think abouit it, a 35mm lens of a P&S could have two uses...a backup camera and can save you buying/carrying around one WA lens for your SLR and these P&S lenses are very good for quality shots.

smashing little camera the yashica fx's.

I started with my Dad's FX-D, then got the contax 139 for my 16th birthday (about 25 years ago!) and since then bought the had 167, RTS2, 159, RTS3 and the G2 and compact contax T2. Still got them all though most of my "snaps" are now with Nikon D40 digital.

Re the flash the contax TLA20 doesn't have a sensor so is only Contax TTL or manual. I am sure the yashica doesnt have TTL so you will only get manual, you need one of the little yashica's with normal auto. Just looking at my flashes, the Yashica CS-202 would be ideal - smaller than the TLA 20, 2 x aa batts and has the contacts for dedication to the yashicas.

I have just bidded on a Yashica CS-201. Hope It works ok though. So that hasnt got auto? Guess its more learning :) Its a good thing to be honest to learn it.

the 201 has auto so you should be fine - you will probably spend more than on the camera though as you got such a good deal !

Thats good then :) Ill be checking out a new lens as well soon.

Back