Yashica Mat and a walk in Edale

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few from a couple of weeks ago in Edale on Adox CHS 50 Art.

The bar of the Nags Head.(It's thirsty work using a camera)

The-Bar by andysnapper1, on Flickr

The outside of the Nags Head. Don't worry there are pictures taken away from the pub. (y)

Nags-Head by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Edale Church

Edale-Church-Topaz by andysnapper1, on Flickr

The Old Bridge

Old-Bridge by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And finally one I b*ll*ed up and decided to age to make it look like i meant it.

Edale-Church-Aged by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers. Any thoughts, comments and critique very welcome.

Andy

Great detail in the bar shot, Andy. Looks like a welcoming place.

Not too sure about the aged one, but as a means of salvaging something I think you have done well.

Heather

Thanks Heather, yes a very lovely pub indeed. The last one was massively under exposed and this was all I could do to get anything from it. Surprisingly there is still a lot of detail in the image.

Andy

Camera and developing details?

Lovely shots fella, got me thinking about trying some slower films :)

And I might pick up a TLR while I'm at it to replace the hole left in my SOUL by selling the RZ67 :(

Thanks Danny. Camera was a Yashica Mat EM that has had the light meter surgically removed on Adox CHS 50 Art.

Yash-Mat1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

These were devved at Club35 and scanned on a V500. Next lot will probably be devved by me which will be my first home dev.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

These are very good, not sure about your salvage effort, but that is just taste, I think overall they all show the quality of the 120 genre with good mood and the subjects are good, I like #2 it looks very natural with good soft contrast, I think it my be a shame that the first dorma roof peak is missing, but never the less I like it.
#3 on my monitor looks a tad over sharpened, but a very good composition.
#4 is very subtle and I love the bridge that take my eye right up through that tree lined gully in the centre of the shot, I do not know how, but I am convinced there is a better cropped picture in there somewhere.
Finally #1 above the bar top is is the sharpest, crisp indoor 120 I have seen for a very long time and yes I would like a pint at that bar.

Richard.

Thanks Richard.

I have to say that the 1st pic is the one I'm most pleased with, seems to work very well indoors.
No. 2, I agree, slightly annoyed that I missed the top off the dormer but hey ho!
No. 3 has been run through Topaz black and white and it is definitely oversharpened, I believe that the original is much better, not sure why I posted this version.
No. 4 I think might be improved be cropping a little off the bottom and RHS to bring the bridge slightly nearer the centre.
No. 5 was really just a mess about to see if it was possible to salvage anything from the shot.

Thanks for taking the time to comment mate.

Andy

A very nice collection of 120 shots. I do like the timeless quality and natural look of the second image of the pub exterior. I think it also shows the sharpness of the great lenses on the Yashica 120 cameras of that period.

Can I ask how easy is the V500 to use with this sort of neg scanning?

Any advice gratefully received.

Adrian

Hi Adrian, thanks for for your comments. The V500 is a doddle really, just load up the negs in the holder pop them on the scanner and press the button.

Andy

Andy,

Many thanks for the advice on the V500, I have seen them for sale but it is always good to get the view from someone using one, sounds like it might be the way to go to replace my current HP general purpose scanner which can't do negs.

Love the picture of the Yashica Mat EM by the way. A camera from a different era, lovely!!

Hi Adrian,

Thers's a thread in the film and conventional forum which compares quite a few of the popular scanners and the V500 fares very well even though it's in no way the most expensive.

Andy

Cheers Andy I will look that up, thanks for the alert. I am new here and already I am learning loads!

Cheers Andy, I will look that up. I am new here and already I am learning loads!

Like #3 & #4, processing works well but the last is a bit OTT for me :)

i have to agree with gramps about the last shot. love no3 though

Ah Edale...one of my old stomping grounds.

I like the old bridge very much. Had some good fun under that bridge more than once :)

Quality work Andy, I'd like to see you produce a whole series of pub shots, you should be able to get some sort of arts grant I would have thought ;)

Like #3 & #4, processing works well but the last is a bit OTT for me :)

Cheers Gramps, yes it is a bit daft but it was just an experiment really to see how much detail there was actually left.

i have to agree with gramps about the last shot. love no3 though

Thanks Scott.

I like the old bridge very much. Had some good fun under that bridge more than once :)

Easy Tiger, but thanks for the comment.

Quality work Andy, I'd like to see you produce a whole series of pub shots, you should be able to get some sort of arts grant I would have thought ;)

Well Nick I am doing my best to capture these old pubs before they disappear. I only do it for the good of the community....honest. (y)

Andy

Well Nick I am doing my best to capture these old pubs before they disappear. I only do it for the good of the community....honest. (y)

Andy

I applaude your community minded spirit and would like to join you in your honest endeavour and suggest we discard the yolk of capitalist oppression and make the photographic capture of these temples to the worship of the hop our life's quest :beer:

Mmmm....OK, sounds like a good idea. In fact I've already begun by laying down some groundwork. 4 pints of groundwork in fact.

And here's another pub......

The-Eagle-Bar-b&w by andysnapper1, on Flickr

The Eagle, a converted Dutch barge on the Caledonian canal.

Last edited:
I have an inherent bias against The Nags Head.. but the view up Grindsbrook Booth towards the church is very nice, and the occupation bridge over the railway towards Lose Hill is a view I've never really looked at (many years ago there used to be a lot of badgers crossed the road at that point).

Thanks Alastair, why the Nags Head hatred?

Andy

I dont remember that ruth :thinking:

Hi Lewis, they are definitely worth it, those 6x6 negs have an unbelievable amount of detail in them.
Main difference between the Mat and the 124/g are the latter has a meter, personally i use a hand held meter so it doesn't matter to me. Secondly, the Mat is to my mind a sturdier camera, the 124g has some plastic in it and I don't think it looks or feels as good as the Mat. Plus its about twice the price.
Treat yourself mate, its well worth it.(y)

Andy

Oh and don't forget 'It's hip to be square' :D

i like the 1st shot of the church ,nice comp mate
there fun cameras to use aren't they a slower pace of togging!!

Hi Lewis, they are definitely worth it, those 6x6 negs have an unbelievable amount of detail in them.
Main difference between the Mat and the 124/g are the latter has a meter, personally i use a hand held meter so it doesn't matter to me. Secondly, the Mat is to my mind a sturdier camera, the 124g has some plastic in it and I don't think it looks or feels as good as the Mat. Plus its about twice the price.
Treat yourself mate, its well worth it.(y)

Andy

Oh and don't forget 'It's hip to be square' :D

Thanks a lot! think ill treat myself for Christmas! :D

Back