Yashica teasing a new (film) camera?

With respect... why?

All Yashica is now is a name. Anything released now has nothing to do with Yashica cameras of the past. There is no old technology to build on.

Because I have more money than sense lol. I don't even have money, but I have even less sense :wacky:

It depends what it is really. If it's a fair priced new film camera or something a bit different then I'll consider it. If it's digital or they want too many beer tokens then I'll pass!

I see two things in there, one being
... an old film camera to "remind viewers of our heritage"
and the other (just a glimpse - soon gone) looks like a clip-on lens for a mobile phone. Anything to do with a new film camera is wishful thinking ...

Last edited:
Yashica is just a brand owned by someone else now apparently (like Polaroid), so there's no actual Yashica company making cameras currently. The clip on lenses were released earlier in the year and are already on their website and I agree that the Electro in the video looks like just a nod to heritage.

I still think it will be a digital camera like an X100 with retro styling, especially looking at the rectangular part sticking up on the top plate.

Yashica is just a brand owned by someone else now apparently (like Polaroid), so there's no actual Yashica company making cameras currently. The clip on lenses were released earlier in the year and are already on their website and I agree that the Electro in the video looks like just a nod to heritage.

I still think it will be a digital camera like an X100 with retro styling, especially looking at the rectangular part sticking up on the top plate.

I think you're probably right, I can't find an old Yashica model that looks the same as the one in that screen shot you posted above. If so, I can't see myself buying a retro-looking digital camera just for the sake of it, I'd rather have another classic film camera, but to be honest I've probably got enough of those already! :snaphappy:

I have a horrible suspicion.

Yashica Electro 35 -> snap on smartphone lens -> rigid smartphone case (that looks like Electro 35) with lens, shutter button and dummy 'vintage' controls?
Horribly plausible, but if it turns out to be something else you should get that idea out on Kickstarter the following day!

An 'unconfirmed source' has suggested it will be a 36MP full frame rangefinder camera.

I preferred the suggestion that it will be a digital/film TLR with one lens shooting digi and the other film and the top down hood is the viewing screen. That would be 'unprecedented' as it says in the ad.

An 'unconfirmed source' has suggested it will be a 36MP full frame rangefinder camera.

I preferred the suggestion that it will be a digital/film TLR with one lens shooting digi and the other film and the top down hood is the viewing screen. That would be 'unprecedented' as it says in the ad.
Indeed, nothing special about that, although I suppose noone has done a retro styled full frame rangefinder (not including leica)? Not for me if it is though... and I'd think hard to do on kickstarter, that would be flippin' expensive!

Let's hope the source is wrong!

27a6c89d123c4cf63e2a05596b1483a2_original.jpg

4aee1ffdec04aa7c4a6ab34dd0d30427_original.jpg

Specifications
  • 1/3.2-inch CMOS sensor
  • 1.4 megapixel photos
  • Built-in viewfinder
  • Apertures of f2.8
  • Focal Length 35mm
  • A minimum focusing distance of 1m (~3 feet) to infinity
  • 5 selectable steps shutter speeds 1s, 1/30s, 1/60s, 1/250s, 1/500s
  • SD card storage (wifi card compatible)
  • Micro USB connectivity for data transfers
  • Tripod mount ready
  • Operate with 2 x AA batteries
  • Image controlled by digiFilm™
Dimension:

• Body Only: 100 (w) x 64 (h) x 28 (d) mm
  • With lens and switch: 110 (w) x 70 (h) x 55 (d) mm

I was just about to post the same thing. 1.4 Megapixels - that's less than my Fuji Finepix A203 compact that I bought nearly 15 years ago.

I kinda feel it's nothing but a gimmick at this stage unless I'm missing something? If you're going to use digital, you may as well have access to the benefits it offers, and this seems to do away with many of them.

This backer comment says it all....

upload_2017-10-10_13-26-38.png

"Manual controls", being the option to choose the shutter speed from 1 of 5 different choices seeing as the ISO is set by the 'digifilm' cartridge, the aperture appears to be fixed at 2.8 and the focal length is fixed at 35mm

Jeez, hipster crap..... :banghead:

It's not the resolution that put's me off, it's the faffing around with fake film rolls to get the look of film. I get the whole thing about embracing film and it's difficulties, as that's part of what makes film fun. I like the tactile process of changing films etc, but this seems to be making the process unnecessarily painful just for the sake of it.

I think the ability to mimic film characteristics with built in presets is a great idea, but what's wrong with having buttons to do that? Or even a big clunky dial on the top.

Yikes, that looks terrible. I'll stick with my iPhone and VSCO/Filmborn filters then.

Wish there was a new version of the Epson RD1.

Well thats a huge disappointment.

It's not the resolution that put's me off, it's the faffing around with fake film rolls to get the look of film. I get the whole thing about embracing film and it's difficulties, as that's part of what makes film fun. I like the tactile process of changing films etc, but this seems to be making the process unnecessarily painful just for the sake of it.

I think the ability to mimic film characteristics with built in presets is a great idea, but what's wrong with having buttons to do that? Or even a big clunky dial on the top.

I guess we need to remember that Yashica is just a brand name owned by a non-photographic company. They wouldn’t want to release a full digital compact because it would immediately be compared to the hundreds of more capable models already available. They’re not going to invest in film because that would need an infrastructure behind it so instead they package up a poor digital compact into a faux-Analogue body and give a nod to film with the replaceable presets.

It will get backed by people with money and no real interest in photography.

Turns out it's actually 14 megapixels - it was a typo - albeit on a small, smartphone-sized sensor. Still somewhat gimmicky, but at least it has a decent resolution now. I still see no reason at all to buy one over just using my Lumix GX7 though (which I tend to use with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake - 40mm full-frame equivalent).

Last edited:
erm where's the big picture on the back that digi owners like :D

.....and it's fully funded :eek:

Reading the backer comments on the campaign is hilarious;

"Alok
Superbacker
3 minutes ago

Would be great to understand DigiFilm - what confuses and worries me is that in the video the girls is seem using something like a 'Film Advancer' why is that needed in a true Digital Camera ? Is DigiFilm something that we have to continue buying does it have x number of shots as life cycle? what the life of these films ?whats the replacement cost?"

Yes, the faux-film cartridge that simply contains jpg processing settings wears out after each use so you need to buy a new one...

Would be a good money maker, all they need to do is put labels on each cartridge saying "24 exp", and these people would be dim enough to buy new ones each time :LOL:

Actually, if I was on the lookout for a cheap compact digi - which is what it's competing with, I'd probably go for this as it looks quite fun! Obviously film would be better, maybe next time!

In hindsight a full frame rangefinder, even digital, was too good to be true...
However, this is a nice concept and will appeal (as we can see already) to a certain audience.

For me, when I fancy a film experience, it's more appealing to pick up roll of film (there are so many to try out!), shoot over the weekend, then pop into snappy snaps and have them dev and scan it while I enjoy a cup of coffee.

Wow, what a pile of crap. Such a shame! Imagine having a digital camera that wears out cartridges, I mean, come on.... who the hell funds these things?!

Wow, what a pile of crap. Such a shame! Imagine having a digital camera that wears out cartridges, I mean, come on.... who the hell funds these things?!

Sorry Charlotte. My comment above was sarcastic. The cartridge doesn’t wear out, it’s just a chip with jpg processing settings stored on it that the user can swap out to change the iso/format etc

h'mm So the only thrill a digi guy gets is looking thru' a viewfinder?

Such a wasted opportunity. I'd definitely be in the market for this if done right - a cut down digital camera with a fast quality fixed lens, an optical viewfinder and good IQ. A Leica M-D that mortals can afford.

h'mm viewfinder?.....filmies sometimes complain about brightness, dioptres for non spectacle use and if no dioptres can you fit a rubber cover so it doesn't scratch my spectacles, cut-offs etc

Its just a bicycle not a motorbike. :D
Yes, but he could sell plastic clip on engine units to make the bicycle look and sound a bit like a motorbike. A single, a twin and a triple 4-stroke spring to mind as options, plus a ratty little 2-stroke for that full 'back to your teens' nostalgia trip. However, sales figures for the two stroke unit might be compromised by people improvising and simply fitting an empty coke can containing an angry wasp instead? ;)

Last edited:
Back