Yashica635

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I posted in the Talk film section about being gifted this camera a few weeks back.

Asked for help as I had not used a old film camera like this before.

Everyone has been so helpful.

Anyways I just recieved the scans back. Once I got over the shock of seeing not very sharp and flat photos I was pretty pleased to have actually captured 12 photos.

I have given the photos a levels/curves adjustment as to me the were very flat.

There is a link to a Dropbox folder below if you would like to see them all.

The better ones are here.

There was a note with the file saying "Please note the roll was slack on arrival, slight light leaks on two frames. "

Does anyone know if this would be my fault or the camera ?

Any advice feedback would be more than appreciated.

Gaz

je7DVRU.jpg

5hyzvDm.jpg

DTagPeB.jpg

YPB9xAe.jpg

Last edited:
They look good to me - maybe a little processing in LR

I like the first shot of the Roll - 001

Look good to me too!

Re: Sharpness...
Sometimes I find that slow shutter speeds are more common on film because of the lack of high ISO options. With auto ISO on digital, I can keep the shutter at 1/125 and shoot in almost any light. With film, I find 1/60 and 1/30 to be not uncommon speeds, and my images often suffer as a result. If you're getting down to 1/15, then subject movement can also come into play.
Also, focussing can be an issue if you're wide open. The chap (for example) looks slightly off but the ferns do look sharp in places. Same with the stripy top.

12 usable images off your 1st roll is a win in my book :)

These are good! There's definitely a qualitative difference with square format film from old cameras that can be a bit disappointing the first time you see the scans. Have a play with the images to tweak them to your liking and then do it with another few rolls to work out the camera and how to get it to do what you want. It's one of the downsides to film - lack of instant feedback on what the camera and film combination is doing in a given light. But then that's also part of the fun! Nice job, and if you decide that film's still not for you then no harm - at least you gave it a go!

Spotting this thread is a blast from the past.

Out of curiosity, did the 635 come with the 35mm film conversion kit?

PS and FWIW I bought a 635 more years ago than I care to remember......long since sold but I do recall it being a very well made camera and so versatile being able to use both 120 and 35mm films

I hope you enjoy it :)

Last edited:
Gaz, I'd be pleased with these shots, so kudos for making a good job of it.

The slack film scenario is one I've had recently with a TLR and I think it depends which frames were affected. It's possible to misalign the film very slightly so that it doesn't roll exactly between the end lugs of the take-up spool, but that might tend to show up on the film all the way.

The second and more likely reason comes at the end of the roll when you wind it off. As soon as it comes off the original spool, you lose the tension keeping it tight, and then it can loosen off the take-up spool. This would show up on the last 1 or 2 frames, and can be avoided by opening the camera as soon as the tension comes off, then seal it tight with the sticky label.

They look good to me - maybe a little processing in LR

I like the first shot of the Roll - 001
Thanks for taking the time to look.
Funnily enough that was the last image on the roll.
I don't use LR. I had a little play in CS6 and there is qute a lot of detail in that sky but I left it as.
The reason being I could feel myself getting dragged into the trap of editing like it was a digital file.

@Harlequin565
Yes I found it difficult to focus My Daughter "Stripy" and Peter "Chap" were the first two images of the role.
Those were taken at Daughter f8 500th
Peter F8 250th

Thats if I remembered and wrote them down correctly.

The lowest shutter speed I used was 1/60the at F4 image 0004 which makes sense as it was blurred and most likley I missed focus to boot.

@Cuchulainn

Thanks for the feedback. Being as the feedback as been encouraging I will endevour to try another roll.

@Box Brownie
They are well made for sure very sturdy.

@Topsy
Thanks Paul. Thats good to know.

@Peter B

Thanks Peter
I'm glad you addressed the slack film issue. It was the last two frames on the roll which works in with your theory.
Seal it tight ?

I didnt seal it as I don't recall seeing a sticky label ?

Thanks everyone for your time and help on this little journey.

Gaz

Thanks Stephen.

With you owning one you will be in used to seeing photos from them.

I doubt I'll be using this often but I bought 3 films so I'll use them and see how it goes.

Gaz

I used a Yashica 635 for several years, taking hudndreds of photographs with both 120 and 35mm films.

I found it a very reliable camera producing sharp and contrasty images - loved it.

Just keep taking pictures and enjoy your Yashica.

I used a Yashica 635 for several years, taking hudndreds of photographs with both 120 and 35mm films.

I found it a very reliable camera producing sharp and contrasty images - loved it.

Just keep taking pictures and enjoy your Yashica.
Hi Dave.

Sharp and contrasty pictures.
That would be great :)

I think I'm gonna shoot the next roll all at f8 to see if sharpness improves.
Obviously my focusing and steadiness needs improvement too.

As for contrast shooting in much brighter "sunny" conditions should help there as all the above were taken in shade.

That's my thought process. Please feel free to give advice if I'm going in the wrong direction.

I would appreciate the help.

Gaz

Just received my contact sheet today.
Funny it felt like a little Christmas present.
Although the little squares are small I'm very chuffed with them the images look way better printed.

Thanks again to everyone whom gave advice and feedback.

Gaz

Back