Yay - a Jay at last!

Edit My Images
Yes
Been wanting a picture of these secretive guys for ages....went on a stroll not looking for them in my local park and seen 1 in a tree a good 50 yds or so away.

So I was very cheeky and used the rspb bird call app on my iphone, used the jay call, and fair enough, there came two of the buggers! One stayed for a moment only for a shot, its not great, but its my furst ever Jay and boy are they a pretty bird or what?

4105275007_0e6355e144.jpg

Top marks Effjay coingrats :clap::clap:, I downloaded some calls the other day and put em on cd as I got a small portable player. Tried it in the grden with a Wren call, methinks I had the volume too loud as I caught a glimpse of a Wren, but it did not stay to find out why the other one had such a big mouth :LOL::LOL:

Cheers mate :D

I've used the rspb app on several occasions now and it works a treat for robins and blue tits and the likes. The only problem with using it on the jays is that these guys got VERY agnry at me and followed me for a good few trees - I even rang the wife and told her, I was that concerned!

I dunno if using calls is good behaviour or not, if it winds birds up like it did these jays. I know I got the shot by using it, but I dont like upsetting any birds for the sake of photography.

Lovely capture - nice detail and tones.

Its very frowned upon actually if you haven't got permission from the proper authorities - i think due to raising animal anxieties especially if you use a call that is a territorial threat. :shrug:

Its very frowned upon actually if you haven't got permission from the proper authorities - i think due to raising animal anxieties especially if you use a call that is a territorial threat. :shrug:

Thanks for making me aware Sarah, I only tried it the once and shall not be using it again in the future :rules:

Thanks for making me aware Sarah, i shall not be using mine :rules:

Well there was a piece on the One show especially or Autumn watch - can't remember exactly, but they did say that they had special permission to use owl calls to get glimpses of owls.

And I read it other places too. (I was wondering about it myself once, but never did it)

Also, it could lure the animals into a position where a predator might be, even if you were unaware.

Last edited:
Well done for getting the shot,a very secretive bird...........(y)

Say what?

I'm just repeating what i've read

Sarah, whom are the "proper authorities" then?

Sorry, but I think you may have misunderstood what you have read, if one searches long enough and hard enough, there are laws surrounding everything, it does not make them right nor workable...........:)

Sarah, whom are the "proper authorities" then?

Sorry, but I think you may have misunderstood what you have read, if one searches long enough and hard enough, there are laws surrounding everything, it does not make them right nor workable...........:)

I have no idea whom the proper authorities are but have read that tape luring is used for scientific purposes. Plus it was mentioned that prior permission was given on the one show/autumn watch.

I have no idea whom the proper authorities are but have read that tape luring is used for scientific purposes. Plus it was mentioned that prior permission was given on the one show/autumn watch.

OK......:)

Back