'YellowBird'

Edit My Images
Yes
AFAIK it's a 22 spot ladybird, and was only a few milimeters in size (about 3mm), not much bigger than the head section of the larger Red 7-spot ladybird.

I very seldom see these let alone have the 'opperchancity' to catch a few shots of one! Hope you enjoy, and as-per usial C&C is most welcome (y)

DSC_2105a.jpg

DSC_2092a.jpg

DSC_2085a.jpg

DSC_2099a.jpg

All were taken in diect sunlight (no flash) using a combo of my Kenko 1.4X TC and Sigma 70mm F/2.8 Macro on the D90...

22 spot ladybirds hang out quite low down and can be easily missed, super captures and a good find but I think it is in fact a 16-spot ladybird (Tytthaspis 16-punctata) Found normally in grassland and meadows and equally a damn good find. (y)
Here is a 22 spot.
3588968533_a6b76b3a2f_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the info Alby (y)
I'm not up to speed when it comes to these creatures, especially the yellow ones. I found it at the edge of my drive sitting on the chute of a bramble. I then went hunting for more in the area and found these Red ones (below), the one on the wooden gate-post was quite a grumpy little sod, not very photogenic at all :LOL:

DSC_2050a.jpg

DSC_2198a.jpg

DSC_2055a.jpg

DSC_2053a.jpg

Last edited:
That is a 7-spot ladybird (Coccinella 7-punctata). Super set Andy ;)

Gotcha! (y)

Ta, and hopefully in due course I'll add to the set if/when I happen across other varients over the coming weeks/months :)

Here is a good place to checkout for your species that you find and they would be happy for you to record your finding to them also. Linky

Cheers for the linky Alby (y)

Here's a couple of additions (both hand-held). Crit welcome on them folks :)

DSC_2280a.jpg

20100515-DSC_2386.jpg

Back