Yeovilton Air Day

Edit My Images
No
Not been to this show before, anyone tell me the sort of lens length I can get away with for the flying stuff.

Am taking a crop body, will the 100-300mm f4 do or should I take along the 50-500mm OS as well? Trying to save a bit of weight.

Thanks.

Hello Mike,

I'm going tomorrow only taking a Nikon 70-300 VR F4.5-5. That's the only long lens I own !. I can't really offer any advice on flying photography as I haven't done a lot. From advice on other threads will be shooting 500 ISO, 1000 Speed (shutter priority), spot metered, +1 or 2 EV, focusing AF - C. I'm shooting in RAW and JPEG on continues shooting speed.

For the Helos and props 1/125 - 1/250

Hopefully it will be a good day with lots of opportunities may be worth taking your 50-500 but i'm not best placed to answer your question.

If i get any decent images i'll post them in the transport section in the next week or so.

Here are a couple of sets I have taken perviously just for info:-

Helicopters - Royal Navy:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blank_canvas_photograpy/sets/72157628622007375/

HMS Ocean

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blank_canvas_photograpy/sets/72157628429978455/

Hope you have a good day.

Thanks Nick.

I have done plenty of aircraft stuff in the past so no problems there, I was more looking for an idea of required lens length to save a bit of weight in the bag as the 100-300mm f4 is my preferred lens and it would save me taking both.

Better take both to be on the safe side, you may see me, I will be the one getting shorter and shorter throughout the day due to the heavy bag on my back. :LOL:

Have a good one yourself, have a feeling it's going to be busy.

TBH, unless you'll be wanting big prints, I would stick with the x-300 and crop in for web or smaller print use. I used to have a 150-500 OS but it got so little use (it's a big, heavy b##### so tended to get left at home) that I PXed it and don't miss it (especially the bulk and weight!)

It was hot yesterday I bailed at 14;00 just couldn't stand the heat any more. My 300mm was definitely too short though I have got a few reasonable shots.

Back