Yet another advice needed on bodies...for a beginner

bastic

A star
Name
Lukas
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked to help with choosing dSLR camera for a friend....shes a beginner and wants to learn how to photograph using dSlr and not using normal digital camera ;)
her budget is limited doh ( im not going to give an amount as its in other currency anyway;) )
She wants to upgrade body in future and keep all the lenses and start with 'basic' kit.
I managed to narrow down choices to following cameras :
nikon d60 and canon 350d and 400d.
My question is :
is it worth to pay bit extra for 400d or 350 will be enough?
I would say that body will have to last 1,5-2years.
:thinking:So..is d60 and 350d good for a beginner ? I know that with canon and future body change she can use lenses that she will have. Will it be same with d60 ? or is it like d40 and lenses are different (AF wise)?
Kits are with 18-55mm lenses.It should be fine for the beggining:)
And at the end, Im not gona tell her pick this one as (lets say) canon is better ;) I will tell her to go and pick one that will fit her better in hands:)

I hope I made my self clear ;) although I think I havent :bonk:

Well presumably if it's in another currency then she is buying abroad.

I cant say what is good value in her country I'm not there.

Regardless go and hold the various bodies and get the one that feels most comfortable.

going from the cheapest :
350d->d40x->d60->400d :)
and yes, she is buying abroad (her home country;) ...cameras here in UK are cheaper then there;)

Cheaper in the UK you're having a larf!!!!!:)

She really needs to try them out. If the choice is going to be Canon or Nikon, she needs to consider carefully what kind of photography she wants to do in the future. Each (as they stand at the moment) has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Nikon has probably got the better flash system, Canon has the best tilt and shift lens etc,etc,etc.

She needs to hold the cameras, assess their ergonomics and the ease of use of the menu systems.

Then take the plunge and spend 20 years hoping she chose the right one! lol. :)

heh just realized that nikon d60 doesn't have an built-in focus drive motor...so with new body comes new lenses..heh

Another one of those completely impossible to answer questions.

There is nothing in the question to really be able to give a judgement on... the cheaper ones are errrm cheaper and the more expensive ones are better...

Sound advice, she need to try out the different cameras before she can make a decision, AliB right it saying Nikon and Canon have there good and bad points, what you have to remember is, if she is thinking about taking this seriously, once she has committed to a brand, its not that easy to change.

Nikon's D40/D40i/D50/D60, as well as Canon's 350D/400D/450D are all good cameras and will get you started, don't forget that there are other brands as well, like sony and pentax, but these come with problems like limited lens ranges, their own, can be expensive etc. Nikon or Canon offer better choice and the 3rd party manufactures usually concentrate on these 2 for their products, although they are slowly expanding the brands their lenses will fit and widening the choice.

The lenses are the more important considerations, camera bodies get replaced, lenses usually don't. You don't have to pay a fortune, but if you put a rubbish bit of glass on the front of your camera, you'll more than likely get rubbish images, so she needs to consider a budget for a good lens as well.

best advice is try them out and don't get suckered into buying anything by the sales assistant.

Peter

Back