Yet another Hover :)

Edit My Images
No
I've just started using a modified firmware for my 400D (from CHDK Forums) which permits quite a few options not previously available on the 400D. I switched over to Spot metering (previously unavailable for the 400D) for this shot. Worth it or no point in doing it? I feel there is very much less flash glare. Even though my flash is diffused and I try to compensate appropriately, I often find there's still some quite harsh highlights on the shiny back but in this instance, there are none on the hover.

IMG4374.jpg

A closer crop

IMG4374crop.jpg

Very nice shot.(y)

As to the different metering from what I've read it doesn't matter due to ettl
Taking over.

Cheers Neil. I've had a little read up myself and also finding the same thing. Thought it would be interesting to use given the metering being centered on a smaller point. Maybe I was just very lucky with the lighting and angle to avoid a bright highlight from the flash on its back :)

Nice hovers Ian but I don't think spot metering will reduce glare/hot spots, well not at the expense of the overall image anyway. Good shots all the same.

Cheers George. :)

Thanks for extra confirmation. Something I've learned today for sure. I guess I just must have got the angle bob on to avoid hot spots :)

Thanks Allan, sm3ms.

I was using a Sigma 105 EX DG with a 12mm ext. tube.

I decided to do a crop and rotate. I think it makes for a rather nice portrait.

Crop was done using the resample option up to 300DPI.

IMG4374cropb-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice shot Ian... i too have just updated the firmware on my 400D today, and currently trying it out.

Thanks Raj :).

I'm looking forward to giving the Intervalometer a decent run one night for star trails/fields.

Back