Yet another water drop set!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
It looks like water droplets have been popular lately!!

Inspired by some of the outstanding pictures on here I thought I would give this a go. I'm a complete novice to both photography in general (had my camera about 7 months), using flash, and photographing droplets!!

Thanks to the excellent tutorial by AshMashMash (link here)

Well here are my efforts!

All shot on Olympus E510 with 50-200mm lens, off camera flash - one through a soft box to rear and on some pictures another to the front left.
All pictures have been tweaked in Elements 8.

1. Pearl

2. Black Hole

3. Flower

4. Doubles

5. Collision 1

6. Collision 2

Comments are always welcome

Regards

Neil

1 and 5 are excellent. good processing too!

Nos 1 and 2 are excellent - definitely like them very much.

Thank you - I agree, as dramatic as collision photos are for me there's something about number 1. I think it really was a million to 1 shot that I caught the drop as its about to hit the surface.

Neil

Very nice! As others said number 1 is lovely. I believe it's the top of spout which has detached a drop, and then fallen back down and you caught it just before it hit the surface again.

I like the collisions, I think they'd be nicer at the same angle as number 1 and 2 :D

Thanks for the comments.

I agree ashmashmash, the collisions would look better at the shallower angle like the first ones. I'm going to give it another go, it's a lot of fun and these pictures have really whet my appitite to experiment!

As I've said elsewhere I know this has been done before and isn't particularly original, but it's something I've never done and I'm finding very interesting and rewarding!

Again thanks to everyone for taking time to comment.

ATB

Neil

Hi Neil

Gotta be number 2 for me. Really like this one. Well done mate.

Chris

Excellent work (y)

I agree ashmashmash, the collisions would look better at the shallower angle like the first ones. I'm going to give it another go, it's a lot of fun and these pictures have really whet my appitite to experiment!

As I've said elsewhere I know this has been done before and isn't particularly original, but it's something I've never done and I'm finding very interesting and rewarding!

Cool, I look forward to more! Can I ask what your set up is like? :) (And yeh, it's awesomely fun :LOL:)

Cool, I look forward to more! Can I ask what your set up is like? :) (And yeh, it's awesomely fun :LOL:)

To be honest mate the set up I used for these pictures is nothing special. I used a 2ltr pop bottle to hold water, got an aquarium air valve for the drops with a bit of plastic tubing. I put the bottle on a shelf, siphoned the water through the valve to create flow which was then regulated by opening and closing the valve, tied the end to a bit of garden cane and dropped it into a black seed tray (which was stood on a clothes hamper!) Very heath robinson! Had the camera set to take multiple pictures and trusted to luck!!

Flash wise I used off camera flash, which was shot through a soft box behind the seed tray at, I think, 1/64. For some of the shots I had a second flash front left again set at low power. (main flash behind was fired by a radio trigger, the second was a slave off the first.)

It was very hit and miss!

Am currently cobbling together a 'rig' which will consist of a cheap ikea bookcase and a DIY photogate to trigger the flash. Still looking for a suitable solenoid valve for the water....I know what I want the valve to do it I'll be damned if I know what to buy!!!

Hope this answers your question!!

Regards
Neil

To be honest mate the set up I used for these pictures is nothing special. I used a 2ltr pop bottle to hold water, got an aquarium air valve for the drops with a bit of plastic tubing. I put the bottle on a shelf, siphoned the water through the valve to create flow which was then regulated by opening and closing the valve, tied the end to a bit of garden cane and dropped it into a black seed tray (which was stood on a clothes hamper!) Very heath robinson! Had the camera set to take multiple pictures and trusted to luck!!

Flash wise I used off camera flash, which was shot through a soft box behind the seed tray at, I think, 1/64. For some of the shots I had a second flash front left again set at low power. (main flash behind was fired by a radio trigger, the second was a slave off the first.)

It was very hit and miss!

Am currently cobbling together a 'rig' which will consist of a cheap ikea bookcase and a DIY photogate to trigger the flash. Still looking for a suitable solenoid valve for the water....I know what I want the valve to do it I'll be damned if I know what to buy!!!

Hope this answers your question!!

Regards
Neil

Haha, awesome. That's pretty much my identical set up (y) Algarde valve was it? ;) lol.

I want a solenoid/photogate trigger combo at some point...

Haha, awesome. That's pretty much my identical set up (y) Algarde valve was it? ;) lol.

I want a solenoid/photogate trigger combo at some point...

To be honest i dont know what the valve is!!

I've just ordered a photogate thingy from hiviz.com - its a DIY kit (This one), I cant justify spending £200+ on a 'proper' set-up!!

Neil

To be honest i dont know what the valve is!!

I've just ordered a photogate thingy from hiviz.com - its a DIY kit (This one), I cant justify spending £200+ on a 'proper' set-up!!

Neil

I also have the HiViz kit, but found it a bit inaccurate and went back to manual! The connections all seemed a bit dodgy and it was a bit hit and miss - though that's probably my fault in the building of it :LOL:

Back