Yet another which camera thread

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry about this folks, I'm sure you've seen loads of these sorts of threads already. I have the opportunity to get a dSLR in the near future. I've been looking around and it's possible to get good prices on most of the majors makes. My question is, in particular, about the Olympus dSLR's. I have a couple of OM mount Olympus lenses from an old OM1. An 80-200 Sigma, a 24mm (not sure what make), and a 50mm lens. Is it worth going for an Olympus dSLR and an adapter to enable me to make use of these lenses or would they not be of much use in the digitial world ?

A little background, I'm wanting to move up from the bridge camera I have now, to something more flexible, and also to use the camera at prime focus on my telescope for Astro Photography.

1 What is your Budget?
2 Go feel a range of cameras and see what feels comfortable.
3 Don't know the OM range but, obviously no AF on the old lenses and possibly no aperture reading either.

2 is important as any camera you buy will take good shots but it's you that will make them special.

I don't have a set budget. Basically I was told to provide a list of what I wanted (my birthday is coming up), but I might not get it. Realistically, I'm hoping for up to £500, for which I could get the E510 with twin lens kit and a 2Gb CF card.

How much of a rush are you in, as the E-520 is 'just' around the corner.

The E-520 will be out of you budget, but it 'should' push E-510 prices lower.

The Twin Zoom kit can be had for a little over £400 at the moment with a good quality Sandisk II card (4gb) at less than £20. The difference should buy you some filters and the OM-4/3 adaptor.

Chris

Thanks Chris, interesting point. I went and had a quick play of the Nikon D60 and the Canon 450d, both nice cameras, and not much in it in weight and feel, my local Jessops didn't have any Olympus cameras in though, which is a shame. The Z2 has quite a decent grip on it, so I didn't notice to much difference in between that and the other two to hold.

You could always order the E-510 Twin Zoom kit online.

The DSR (distance selling regulations) allows you to 'examine' the product at home and if is not to your liking it can be returned (at your expense - around £10) within 7 days.

The link for the cheap E-510 is http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133784

Ebuyer have a very good online returns policy if needed.

Chris

Thanks Chris. The Astronomy fraternity hold the Canon's in high esteem, so I'm gonna put in a request for that.

Back