Yet more yet more springtails...

I think the hardest part is finding a new title for all these threads on springtails ;)
Love the first one I am going to make an effort to get some good shots of these fast moving types. How do you get the pose were they rear up so often, do they do this as your flash goes off?.

I think the hardest part is finding a new title for all these threads on springtails ;)
Love the first one I am going to make an effort to get some good shots of these fast moving types. How do you get the pose were they rear up so often, do they do this as your flash goes off?.

I can only assume it's a reaction to the lens approaching them, or reflection even? I had a jumping spider chase me about 6 foot backwards trying to scare off his rival reflected in the Raynox, and he ended up jumping onto the lens. Fantastic fun, but impossible to get shots as he motored towards me....

They tend not to leap very often, and they always seem to do at least 2 or 3 of the leg waggling pre-jump poses each time, so I make sure I give myself as much chance as possible to get the next one in focus. Been getting lucky more often recently. :)

I find some of them will turn away slightly and almost shudder as the flash does its initial metering but not to often. I have not come across one yet lifting its legs whilst head on.

I find some of them will turn away slightly and almost shudder as the flash does its initial metering but not to often. I have not come across one yet lifting its legs whilst head on.

I've noticed some of the Tomocerus springtails arching their backs up, like a cat almost, after the first flash. They tend to scarper very quickly though, frustratingly.

Back