yn560's or 430 ex II's?

output, quality, functionality, reliability

and whats the best way to trigger a pair?

If you don't need e-ttl then the YN-560 is awesome value. Three of those for one 430EXII? No contest. They also have a brilliant optical slave.

forgetting value and cost as i can get these easily ..

and ettl means i dont have to mess about with manual doesnt it?

if using it for off camera stuff the ttl will be next to useless (unless its a ttl setup you want)
if on camera then yes it means faffing about with power levels.

I'd love off camera ttl bit don't know how to achieve it

forget cheapness and value for money which is ACTUALLY better at what it does

and how do i get wireless ttl?

What's better, a JCB or a ferarri?

After all, they both have steering wheels, four wheels, etc etc

Depends if you want to move some earth or go fast.

More power with the 560, more reliability with the Canon (from reading online and youtube)

E-TTL II achieved by using a Canon 580exII on the camera by a flash-pulse, or a Canon ST-E2 by infrared to slaves. ETTL II is limited in range to around 15m and can be affected more outdoors in bright sunlit conditions.

Wireless E-TTL II by radio achieved by Pocket Wizards or Radio Poppers.

so i could use either a 580 on camera OR an st-e2 on the camera to trigger 2 430 ex ii's off camera?

whats the cheapest option?

and all this i will retain ettl yes? so all settings are automatic .. no manual

I use two yn 460 II's off camera and have never learnt how to use ettl! I experimented so now I have a rough idea of where to place the light and how much power. Pretty straight forward. Had to return one YN due to dodgy wiring the other two are sound though.

so i could use either a 580 on camera OR an st-e2 on the camera to trigger 2 430 ex ii's off camera?

How about a Yongnuo STe2 copy, better features and about half the price of the canon which is loooooooooooooooooooooong overdue for an upgrade?

Or, buy a 7d or a 60 and get it built in to the pop up flash.

How about a Yongnuo STe2 copy, better features and about half the price of the canon which is loooooooooooooooooooooong overdue for an upgrade?

Or, buy a 7d or a 60 and get it built in to the pop up flash.

My 60d works very well from the pop up flash, just as well as the STe2 imho.

bear in mind on your setup and depending on the modifiers used it may get in the way of seeing the optical/infrared signal. It has happened to me before! I know tend to use triggers and go manual unless i know there is no interference.

so hang on the price of the ste2 or 580 .. £300 ish

i could sell my 50D and buy a 60D and get the wireless capabilitys yeah?

Yes, over fairly short distances outside. Indoors it works brilliantly. Outdoors, far less so.

ahh mann ive got loads of brand new gear for my 50D lol

i should be able to sell up and fetch the wonga for a 60D but serious hassle

although HD would be niceeee

Personally I wouldnt buy the ST-E2...i think its a bit overpriced, Id rather add the addtional cash and get a 580exII and have the top of the range flash gun in my bag.

Ive considered the the 60D/7D upgrade too. I think the 7d can control 3 flash groups and the 60D two.

It probably depends what you are doing...I've also considered cheaper guns, radio triggers and a Sekonic Light Meter

Im still undecided on the portable flash setup...but those are my thoughts....

I think the 7d can control 3 flash groups and the 60D two.

Correct.

The answer is to use both, and chop and change as and when the situation demands. I always place a rf602 receiver under a 580ex even when running wireless ttl, for ten second turnarounds.

ok so before this costs me a small fortune .. what would you guys recommend

a) sell the 50D and buy a 60D?
b) buy an st-e2?
c) buy a 580

if i sell the 500 i also have a brand spanking BGE2N battery grip and 2 batteries id have to sell with it and also 2 8gb sandisk extreme 3 memory cards which as are CF wont fit in the 60D! :mad: :mad: :mad:

so all the sale added together must get me almost £700 on the used market meaning i hant got to fork alot towards the 60D

the 7D is out of question i simply cant afford one

d) Go manual, and forego ttl for the benefits that manual radio triggers bring.

£30 quid and you in like Flynn.

i dont really want to go manual i want to keep TTL

okay what option does that give me over changing to a 60D asides the 60's other features ..

Id just buy the 580...its one transaction and no hassle having to sell your other gear. Id rather have the 50D cards, grip and batteries with a 580 than a 60D.

If you ever do choose to go manual...then £60 quid or so for a three trigger RF602s set as you'll already have the third flash in your bag.

but i could upgrade for not alot of money .. the 580 is £330!!

dont want to buy a 50d do you lol!

lol...I'd really like a 50D but unemployed at the moment and looking at lenses and flashes as a priority :love:

I almost committed to a 2nd 580, but can't decide if its preferable to have manual wireless rf602 with cheaper flashes.

Its often said where light varies, for example weddings....ETTL can be a godsend. However maybe a studio style setup where the ambient light will be nearer constant, therefore a manual setup won't be such a hindrance.

Here is a comparison between the 430 and 580 if you think the cost is justified. Its not just a master feature that you are paying the extra cash for.

http://photo-tips-online.com/review/canon-430ex-ii-vs-canon-580ex-ii/

Ultimately it depends what the cash difference is for the setup you prefer. I think the STE2 clone remains an option, however you might be liable to VAT and import duties on it...so keep that in mind!

if im honest - id love video for the odd second that id use it .. it would still capture moments otherwise forgotten.

after recent relative deaths i wish i had more video footage and pictures so it might not be all bad

i think the only choice really is to sell the 50D and all its goodies and look at a 60D id love a 7 but havnt got that extra bang unfortunately

I've got video on the lowly 500D. I've rarely used it if I'm honest - however I'd still rather have it than not.

I think its similar to photography in one sense, nice to have but diffcult and costly to do well so I tend to leave video out the equation.

EDIT - I also dont have the software or computer power to edit video efficiently so thats another reason I don't spend anytime shooting it.

Last edited:
i had it on my 500 and kinda miss it for the odd family thing

Keep your eye out on TP and the Ebag....You can pick up a 580exii for between £245-280....Try before committing if you can.

i dont have classifieds .. they removed it as i backed out of a £20 sale once lol apparently =/ that and i made a poor offer .. otherwise id be able to give someone after a 50d a bargain lol

Back