YN565EX my wireless findings

Name
Tristan
Edit My Images
Yes
YN-565EX

Although there are lots of reviews on the net, I couldn't find a huge amount on the wireless performance of this flash i.e. FEC operation and compatibility with the di866 as a master. Took the plunge and bought one to try last week, thought it might help some of you guys if i put my findings up here.

First impressions are very favourable. It appears very well made, and they appear to have been listening to the feedback from their previous models. Details like the sprung loaded battery door and the metal hotshoe are nice touches and the backlit display will be useful when working in dark conditions. The audible tone became annoying very quickly but was soon turned off from the custom menu.

Fired off a couple of hundred frames over the weekend and the flash hasn't missed a beat. The slave sensor performed very well outside even in direct sun at normal working distances (up to 20 foot in this case), with both the ST-E2 and the di866 as master, and works fine in manual mode with my RF-602's! To my eye exposures have been consistent and recycle times in line with what i expected.

I am dissapointed my Nissin di622 mark 2 doesnt allow the use flash exposure compensation when in ettl mode and only allows channel A operation. I can confirm that the 565 works flawlessly in all 3 channels and responds to FEC as it should.

I understand that warranty repairs have proved to be a pain in the backside for some people with YN models, but the fact that this flash is available for a smidge over £100 makes it a superb bargain in my eyes.

Back