YN685 Power Issue when triggered by YN622N-TX

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys, new to the forum so a big Hello!!
In summary I currently have a number of Yongnuo YN568ex (Nikon) flashes, one failed to turn on (although little use I will add but over a year old) so I bought a YN685 to replace. I am using a YN622N-TX to trigger latest firmware, with a YN622N receiver on the 568 and obviously the built in radio on the 685. However if I trigger both flashes from the 622N-TX (both set to same output) the 568 SIGNIFICANTLY overpowers the 685 in flash output. I did some experimenting and even half power on the 586 is the same as full power on the 685 even though that's supposed to have a slightly better flash output. In manual mode they both seem equal the issue only happens if both triggered via the 622N-TX. What's going on here? Any one else seen this issue, recognise it a specific set of kit and circumstance, but it seems the radio implementation on the 685 is duff..

Any thoughts? thanks!!!

Hi Stephen,

I don't have a YN685 so this is just a guess tbh, but did you have the YN568 set to manual (ie on the flash itself)? If so it will fire at whatever it is set to on the actual gun (ignoring anything on the YN622NTX) and if this is 1/1 it will be actually fire 1/1. I set mine up this way on purpose when I want full power as I know it never actually gives 1/1 power if I set the group manually to 1/1 on the TX (with the gun in "TTL" mode as it needs to be for the 622 to control the power - even if the group is in "manual"). The 685 may be behaving as expected - but I don't have one so this is just speculation - but as there are no answers coming I thought I'd chuck this in!

Owen

thanks Owen, no I set both on iTTL to allow me to alter the flash power on the 622N-TX. I did some more experimenting and its definitely way out, I have emailed Yongnuo for a response, it could be a fualty flash gunb but I doubt it, I suspect its the firmware either in the flash gun itself or the 622N, if so no good to me so will end up returning it and sticking with the 568's. Warning to those with 568's thinking of moving to the 685, don't until they fix this...

Back