Yo Whaaasssup!

Name
Eamonn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

My name's Eamonn, I currently have a Canon G9 (which i've been v.happy with) but i'm in the process of trawling ebay for a 350d/400d... I'm looking to take photos that I can make paintings from.

I love photographing my Jack Russell Lily, and my family. I'm also interested in car and landscape/cityscape and being able to take the odd action shot... there's a huge amount of info here and it seems like a great place to share ideas and learn more!

So while I'm here do you think I should worry less about the first body i buy (ie: get a 350d rather than a 400d)... and try and get something other than the standard canon kit lens? Thinking at the moment that I'll buy either model body only and pick up different brand of either 50mm lens or a 17-55mm?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Sally says HI!

dsc3432r.jpg

Thanks guys!

Yo... it just makes a change from saying 'Hello', which is a tad formal isn't it?

I am now (if my ebay transaction completes successfully...) the very proud owner of a Canon 400d, so v.excited!

BUT... it doesn't have a lens, so I'm looking around for a 'nifty fifty' (aka canon ef 50mm 1.8 II)... can't believe I've already picked up some lingo... only been here five minutes... are there other brands that will fit? As with most people, I'm on a bit of a budget and love a bargain...

Thanks guys!

Yo... it just makes a change from saying 'Hello', which is a tad formal isn't it?

I am now (if my ebay transaction completes successfully...) the very proud owner of a Canon 400d, so v.excited!

BUT... it doesn't have a lens, so I'm looking around for a 'nifty fifty' (aka canon ef 50mm 1.8 II)... can't believe I've already picked up some lingo... only been here five minutes... are there other brands that will fit? As with most people, I'm on a bit of a budget and love a bargain...
Why are you looking for a 'Nifty Fifty' when you should really be looking for 28mm? The combination of a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera gave an optimal 'perceived' angle of view. Shove a 50mm on a APS-c sized digital sensor and you get a narrower angle of view, a 75mm equivalent. Get a 28mm and drop it on an APS-c sensor and you get a 42mm equivalent which is a good 'standard' view. If you want to create the effect of a 'Nifty Fifty' on a digital body you really need to get a 'Flirty Thirty'!

Why are you looking for a 'Nifty Fifty' when you should really be looking for 28mm? The combination of a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera gave an optimal 'perceived' angle of view. Shove a 50mm on a APS-c sized digital sensor and you get a narrower angle of view, a 75mm equivalent. Get a 28mm and drop it on an APS-c sensor and you get a 42mm equivalent which is a good 'standard' view. If you want to create the effect of a 'Nifty Fifty' on a digital body you really need to get a 'Flirty Thirty'!

Err ok! Thanks! I'll have a look for one of those too...(although I might have to do a bit more reading before I fully understand your explanation...) can you recommend any other sources for 2nd hand lenses other than here and ebay?

Hello welcome to TP, you mentioned different brand lenses, have a look at Sigma and Tamron. Enjoy your stay!

Err ok! Thanks! I'll have a look for one of those too...(although I might have to do a bit more reading before I fully understand your explanation...) can you recommend any other sources for 2nd hand lenses other than here and ebay?

The human eyes have a total angle of view of close to 180 degrees, but the perceptual angle, that which one focuses one attention on, is around 50 degrees. Have a look here it explains some of this quite well and if you need clarification just ask :)

The human eyes have a total angle of view of close to 180 degrees, but the perceptual angle, that which one focuses one attention on, is around 50 degrees. Have a look here it explains some of this quite well and if you need clarification just ask :)

Hey thanks for the tip, but after some research I found that my budget doesn't quite stretch to a 'flirty thirty' at this stage... so I've picked up a 2nd hand 50mm f1.8... I'll post some shots soon, and perhaps some shots that I like from my G9... I'll let you know how I get on.

Back