Beginner Yongnuo 50mm F1.8 auto foucs not working?

Name
FABIANO VIANELLO
Edit My Images
No
Hello, I am deaf sorry about my grammar. I am new beginner I start to interest in photography so I bought a used is Canon 40D as a low budget to start with it. Bought lens is Sigma 18-300mm, Tamron 10-24mm, Tokina 12-24mm fisheye and Yongnuo 50mm F1.8.

I have issue with Yongnuo the auto focus it doesn’t work it move slight bit but still out of focus, I bought for £45 from Amazon. I do not see any error on my display screen, when I switch off the auto focus it do take picture.
My option on camera is AL SERVO, Auto focus dot is at the centre and focusing screen is EF D

Is there anything wrong with my Canon or just the Yongnuo?
Thanks

Stupid question but is the lens set to AF? It may accidentally be in M. Failing that:

Is the problem that it focuses but misses focus, or that it doesn't focus properly at all? If it consistently misses focus you may need to calibrate the focus in body for that lens (if your body supports it). If it's really off it may be a dodgy copy of the lens.

The Yongnuo is fantastic for the price but there's probably a bit of variation in the manufacture which could cause issues.

Hello, I am deaf sorry about my grammar. I am new beginner I start to interest in photography so I bought a used is Canon 40D as a low budget to start with it. Bought lens is Sigma 18-300mm, Tamron 10-24mm, Tokina 12-24mm fisheye and Yongnuo 50mm F1.8.

I have issue with Yongnuo the auto focus it doesn’t work it move slight bit but still out of focus, I bought for £45 from Amazon. I do not see any error on my display screen, when I switch off the auto focus it do take picture.
My option on camera is AL SERVO, Auto focus dot is at the centre and focusing screen is EF D

Is there anything wrong with my Canon or just the Yongnuo?
Thanks

Hi, when you say the autofocus doesn't work do you mean it's front or back focusing i.e it acquires focus but when you review your images focus is not correct?

Focus issues are quite common with those lenses, they are very cheaply made and often decentered. If it is just a front or back focus issue you could tune the lens to your body using the inbuilt lens callibration on the body but I am not sure if the 40d allows for this.

If the lens is decentered there is no way to fix it other than sending to Yongnuo for repair which is probably not worth while considering the cost of the lens.

Probably better to get yourself a Canon 50mm instead.

If it is still under the Amazon return period they will probably take it back for a refund.

Last edited:
The Autofocus is switch on, but when I try to shoot plants at f1.8 with blurr background, the whole screen is out of focus 100% blurr, the motor is move a very little. I look on my opiton try everything still doesn't work.

I should have bought Canon 50mm instead! I can return to Amazon.

The Autofocus is switch on, but when I try to shoot plants at f1.8 with blurr background, the whole screen is out of focus 100% blurr, the motor is move a very little. I look on my opiton try everything still doesn't work.

If it's not focusing at all and your other lenses are it is extremely likely the lens is faulty.

Thank you, all other lens are fine it do focus reckon something is wrong with this len, I will return it and get a Canon 50mm F1.8 rather than replacement same Yongnuo.

Does it focus okay with subjects further away than plants? It might be that the subject is closer than the minimum focusing distance - that's 0.45m from the sensor, or about 30cm from the front of the lens.

If that's not the problem, and other lenses focus correctly, then it must be a faulty lens.

Does it focus okay with subjects further away than plants? It might be that the subject is closer than the minimum focusing distance - that's 0.45m from the sensor, or about 30cm from the front of the lens.

If that's not the problem, and other lenses focus correctly, then it must be a faulty lens.

This would be my guess.

It seems that the Yongnuo is a poor quality copy of the equivalent Canon - even a good example of the Yongnuo is soft compared to the original though. I was given one for free, tried it for a couple of hours and gave it back. To my mind it wasn't even worth "free"

Back