yongnuo 560 iii questions

ejm

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok at some point I will be getting some of these yongnuo 560 iii's and want to ask some questions to make sure they'll do what I what them to do... New to speedlights so pls bare with me :)

1. Can these be used on their own (off camera) so I can flash in other places

2. For this will I need a wireless trigger or can it be done just using the flash alone?

3. These don't actually speak to the camera as far as power/duration is concerned even when on the hot shoe - am I correct?

4. When on the hot shoe will it flash in synch with the shutter?

5. When not attached to the hot shoe will it flash in synch with shutter - will I need a transmitter for this?

6. If I had two or more of these how do I get them to go off together (off camera)? What will I need to buy to achieve this?

Thanks so much!

1. yes
2. no but it's the best way - you could use it in slave mode and use the pop up flash to activate it but you wouldn't want to do that
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes - see 2
6. 1 transmitter for the camera or see 2

You wouldn't buy the iii if you weren't going to use triggers as it has 602/603 receivers built in you, you would buy the cheaper ii version which doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejm
The 560III are a fully manual flash - no comms with the camera, no TTL or ETTL, but will do everything else you need.

You only need a single transmitter - e.g. the RF 603 (or older 602) but you could just get a 560TX to both trigger the flashes and set the power remotely, which is useful when they're stuck on top of a lightstand or in a softbox. Note that it only works with the more recent editions of 560III so something to watch for if buying second hand.

If you had a single RF603 II (or 602 II) as well as the 560TX then you could also use that to trigger the shutter and flashes remotely (assuming you are using Canikon).

However the 560IIIs do work with a wide variety of other triggers, too, e.g. Aperture Trigmaster Plus. In that case you'd need one transmitter and one receiver per flash as you wouldn't be using the built-in receiver.

So juggler if I have a 560tx and a 603ii on my 565exii flash I can control the power from the 560?

Thank you both for your answers!
Welshnoob thanks for answering each one :) I think I'll be getting these then!!

Juggler I have a nikon compatible trigger that I use for long exposures, are u saying that this could also be used for the yongnuos too? If not I'll buy the matching trigger you mention - will I just need the one then? I plan to use them together.

Last edited:
No he's not, he's saying with a 560tx on top of the camera you can use a 603 to trigger the camera.

So yongnuo 560 iii's, a 560tx and a 603 and I'm ready to go?

If you desperately need your camera to take a picture without you touching it then yes you'll need a 603, otherwise save the money and don't buy it as juggler said the 560 will trigger the flashes.

No I'm not fussed about that tbh :)

Thanks again for the replies been so helpful :)

Back