Yongnuo are giving me a headache - help

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Having failed my GCSE in Chinglish, I'm having difficulty choosing a new speedlight.

I want I-ttl control with full wireless functionality.

Do any models offer compatibility with the Nikon AWL system?
Do any models have built in wireless (RF) technology that allow full control from the camera?
Or do I need to but YN-622 system too?

Thanks for any guidance in the translation

Having failed my GCSE in Chinglish, I'm having difficulty choosing a new speedlight.

Do any models have built in wireless (RF) technology that allow full control from the camera?

Thanks for any guidance in the translation

Yes, Nikon compatible. And yes, there is a new 600EX-RT with integral radio, but only for Canon ATM.

Best route to radio with auto-TTL is either 565 or 568 guns with 622 and 622-TX.

Best route to radio with auto-TTL is either 565 or 568 guns with 622 and 622-TX.

Richard to you happen to know how that setup compares to the Pocket wizard TT5/TT1 setup with Nikon speedlights, as I'm seriously thinking of selling my setup and going the Yongnou setup you have mentioned, as I imagine I could get more bang for buck. Cheers Tel

Richard to you happen to know how that setup compares to the Pocket wizard TT5/TT1 setup with Nikon speedlights, as I'm seriously thinking of selling my setup and going the Yongnou setup you have mentioned, as I imagine I could get more bang for buck. Cheers Tel

Unless you need PW's clever and unique features, ie optimised HSS and optimised second-curtain sync, then PW really has nothing but disadvantages these days - expensive, RF interference issues, clunky.

I have been on the brink of changing to Yongnuo for some time now, but I get by and it's not urgent for me and there's always something new coming out next week. A safe bet seems to be YN565 or 568 guns with 622/Tx, though for me the appeal of the integrated YN 600EX-RT system is quite strong and that has just become available this month - but only for Canon. Phottix Mitros+ looks very nice with integrated radio and Odin system is good, but they're pricey.

Edit: Phil V is knowledgeable on this and has been using the 622 option for some time (y)

Last edited:
Loads of options

Yes, most of them, even some of the 'manual' flashguns have iTTL receiver functionality.

Only for Canon (as Richard said)

This is the best option, radio is so much better, and the TX is brilliant.

There are a couple of points where the PW is the best, but I sold mine due to interference, and bought into YN triggers I would do the same again anytime.

Thanks guy's. I've had a few misfires with PW's, the last time was at critical moments at a wedding, not good to say the least, so I am now thinking seriously about moving, I don't think I need hypersync, not used it yet anyway.

This is the best option, radio is so much better, and the TX is brilliant.
So I guess I should just get any of the TTL on camera flashes (TN-468II?) and a YN-622.
I've heard people say that the YN-622 can give manual flashes ttl capabilities?

No chance. 468s are old YN that are probably best left, as they dont have the best reputation.

You need a ttl gun for the full benefit of the 622 system. The 500, 568 or probably the newer 600ex are your best bets.

The 622tx has timing adjustment to optimise hypersync for your particular 'slow burn' flash - one of the unique benefits of the PW system when it launched.

edit - just noticed you're Nikon dark side of the force, therefore what I said might be totally wrong as I have no Yongnuo to Nikon experience at all.

Last edited:
I use the YN560EX models and they do most of what you want (I assume the already mentioned 600EX are the newer versions)

they do wireless TTL via the nikon CLS system and perhaps more importantly using the CLS system you can manually adjust the power output of your flashes from your camera.

BUT

they are only slaves (off camera)
the system is light based and not radio
it requires you have a nikon body (or flash) which can act as a commander

Last edited:
@godsakes (or is that Q?), I need ttl on camera or via rf (I think). I have a 510 which is ttl via AWL/CLS already but I really need an RF based system for out side use. The AWL doesn't work too well in some lights/ situations.

@godsakes (or is that Q?), I need ttl on camera or via rf (I think). I have a 510 which is ttl via AWL/CLS already but I really need an RF based system for out side use. The AWL doesn't work too well in some lights/ situations.

in that case you'll have to combine a TTL (non-slave) flashgun (I think the 568 series ticks the box) with the 622 triggers

Back