Yongnuo Flash Users - Full Power Only

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
hi all

I think I have managed to break one of my flashes.

For dancing / party shots / dance floor lighting I use a couple of Yongnuo 568 flashes fired by the YN622TX ad receivers.

On one of them, if I drop the power via the TX on the camera the flash still seems to fire at full power.

I recently shot a wedding a really fired a few bursts and now im convinced if I fire the flash I can smell a little 'electrical smell' lol so I think its kaput!

Just wondering if anyone has had similar and if there is a remedy...other than a new on (£70 from amazon so not really an issue)

Does anyone know if there is a Nikon flash much like the canon ones that contain a radio Transmitter /receiver. (canon 600sereies I think). Doesn't have to be manufactured by Nikon, 3rd party will do.

The one thing I want, which I cant get, is the ability to have an on camera flash firing TTL and an off camera flash set to manual.

Rgds

Last edited:
Can't really help but just to add they do blow quite easily. I've had one die from overuse and a second on it's last legs now.

The short answer is yes. There are plenty. You have the Pixel X800 pro. Yongnuo now have the 685N which is compatible with the YN622's you have so you may be interested in those.

However I've gone right off Yongnuo. Their quality sucks and i've had too many break. So now I've switched to all Godox which whilst not perfect, I love because they do everything in one unit AND allow me to control my Godox Ad600 & AD360 mk2. Meaning I no longer have to faff around changing triggers around depending on what flash I'm using. In fact I just keep my TT685's permanently on my camera now and just switch it to master mode when needed.

Here's my review of the Godox TT685's. http://www.martincphotography.co.uk/godox-tt685n-review/

hi all

For dancing / party shots / dance floor lighting I use a couple of Yongnuo 568 flashes fired by the YN622TX ad receivers.

On one of them, if I drop the power via the TX on the camera the flash still seems to fire at full power.

I recently shot a wedding a really fired a few bursts and now im convinced if I fire the flash I can smell a little 'electrical smell' lol so I think its kaput!

Just wondering if anyone has had similar and if there is a remedy...other than a new on (£70 from amazon so not really an issue)

Does anyone know if there is a Nikon flash much like the canon ones that contain a radio Transmitter /receiver. (canon 600sereies I think). Doesn't have to be manufactured by Nikon, 3rd party will do.

The one thing I want, which I cant get, is the ability to have an on camera flash firing TTL and an off camera flash set to manual.

Rgds

It's either broken, or you've accidentally set it to Manual and not TTL, but I'm assuming you've already checked that :)

You could use something like the RC-mini and mount a flash and 622 on that and set the channel to TTL?

The 568's have been one of the most reliable of Yongnuo flashes. I know the issue Greg describes is common with the YN560's which have a poor IGBT that blows easily, leaving the power firing full power regardless of setting. I've had two of these and have heard loads more people with the same issue. You can apparently buy a replacement IGBT on eBay and solder it in yourself but given the risk of shock, I didn't fancy that!

The cost of the flashes didn't bother me. I loved the YN560's up until the second blew during speeches and nearly ruined everything. Thankfully I chimped a little, realised and switched to a TTL bounce flash. The results weren't great as I set up OCF in the reception area for a reason but it was better than blowing everything at full power! Lesson learned that I need something pretty reliable.

The short answer is yes. There are plenty. You have the Pixel X800 pro. Yongnuo now have the 685N which is compatible with the YN622's you have so you may be interested in those.

However I've gone right off Yongnuo. Their quality sucks and i've had too many break. So now I've switched to all Godox which whilst not perfect, I love because they do everything in one unit AND allow me to control my Godox Ad600 & AD360 mk2. Meaning I no longer have to faff around changing triggers around depending on what flash I'm using. In fact I just keep my TT685's permanently on my camera now and just switch it to master mode when needed.

Here's my review of the Godox TT685's. http://www.martincphotography.co.uk/godox-tt685n-review/

was already reading your reviews mate. Bit of a flash junkie lol!!

Great info and definitely helped. Many Thanks

In your experience what would you recommend for the below needs

2 off camera flashes manually controlled (each side of the dance floor), n o on camera
1 Off camera flash set to manual, one on camera set to ETTL
2 off camera manual, 1 on camera ETTL
1 On camera, used for bounce, mainly ettl

I have found myself wanting to switch things up a bit at a wedding but keep reverting to 2 off camera flashes set to manual. So looking at what system can work better.

The yongnuos have been great but the lack of on camera flash in ETTL whilst having off camera flash in manual is a draw back.

The Godox look like they may solve that, not fussed if I have to sell off the yongnuos. Im carrying 4 receivers, a transmitter and 2YN flashes and 2 Nikon SB700 at the moment.

hi all

Rgds
1) Re the always firing on full power - check your YN receivers. I had one which suffered a leaky battery inside messing up the electronics, I thought it survived the leak because it still powered on, but every time i triggered it with the TX on ETTL it would fire the flash on full power (flash was Canon flash). Now its sitting in my cupboard as donor for spare parts :p Also, the fried electronic smell could be the flash firing on full power more often than normal and the black plastic parts on the flash are melting, just you never noticed / sniffed your flash before? :LOL:Flashes can tear through black bin bags easily on full power

2) Re on camera ETTL, off camera manual - you could use optical triggering on the off camera (I presume YN) flashes if you have line of sight to them? Not ideal cos anyone else's flash could trigger them but it's somewhat of a workaround...

Last edited:
The burning smell is probably the capacitor as these cheap ones overheat quite easily 10 continious flashes and their toast..I recently switched to godox ad360 ttl version 2 astounding flash for the money and a beast of a thing.. used it last week on a wedding permanently mounted on a light stand and off camera weak fill through a 10 inch softie.. bit of a pain to cart the stand around each time I moved also fitted a strap to the stand to fling it over my shoulder..but in hindsight wish I had gone down this route much sooner pleased with the results..looks like the rest of the season I will operate this way..with an assistant on minimum wage to move the stand where I want it..:)

Last edited:

Hi

quick question, I have 2 SB700. Im thinking of getting a couple of the Godox T685N's. One for on camera fill and the other for off camera. What receiver would I need to get to allow them to communicate with the Nikon SB700's is it the X1TN and X1RN.

So I would need 2 T685N's. 1X1TN and 2 X1RN's?

In short yes. The X1RN's will let you attach the SB700's. The X1T-N will let you control them.

However....I've found in practice I just leave my TT685's attached and use them in master mode to control the off camera flashes. But if you want to use all four off camera then you'll need the X1-T

In short yes. The X1RN's will let you attach the SB700's. The X1T-N will let you control them.

However....I've found in practice I just leave my TT685's attached and use them in master mode to control the off camera flashes. But if you want to use all four off camera then you'll need the X1-T

Will these flashes work on the Nikon D800.

sorry

so if I leave the 685 on the camera it will talk to the Nikons providing they have the receivers attached and only need the transceiver if i have all 4 off camera..

Im being slow today...

sorry

so if I leave the 685 on the camera it will talk to the Nikons providing they have the receivers attached and only need the transceiver if i have all 4 off camera..

Im being slow today...

Yes...and they are all talking in the same group/channel..

Righty then, just ordered 2 TT685s. One on camera for bounced fill, one off as a kicker. Hopefully they will be here this week so I can have a play before the next wedding.

Will have another read of your blog as I want to make sure I turn off optical mode and engage radio..

Rgds

Cheers for the help, martin / et all. Always good to have some advice when changing a system. So the flashes arrived (second time lucky as the original order that was fulfilled by amazon was mixed up and I got a box of Pet medication. Valium for cats and dogs!!! fairplay to amazon as they sent the item recorded next day with free postage, no quibbles!)

Set them up and had a play and so far really impressed. after just a few minutes I found them quite easy to navigate and set up. Off camera manual at 1/60 and on camera ETTL via radio mode took me about 2sec to sort out.(need to work out how to turn off focus assist)but other than that they are not too bad at all.

I think I my be saying good bye to the yongnuos soon and ordering another 685 as well as a couple of receivers for my current SB700.

They sat on the hotshoe quite tightly too, which I thought was a surprise given the reviews of late. Will use them this weekend at a wedding.

Thanks again all.
Rgds

Last edited:
I have two Yongnuo flashes for Canon, one does exactly the same, full power only no control, did it from new, although didn't realise at first.
The other one works fine but the faulty is now only kept for bits.
(Why didn't I send it back, I did but sent the working one back and kept the duff one Doh!, Hence still have a duff one, luckily the one replacement worked).
I use my Metz and old Canon 430 most of the time.

Fab. I'd be interested in what you think of them in the field.

Hi mate,
So i have the X1N transmitter and tghe X1R receivers. Just been playing about with them.

I maye be being stupid here, but how do you get the transmitter, on camera, with a SB700 mounted to allow the SB700 TTL.

basically, i have 2 SB700, one for off camera in manual mode mmounted on an X1R controlled by the X1N. Then, on top of the X1N another SB700 which i want in TTL. I can see where i set the one on the tranmitter to be TTL.

RGds

I dont have any SB700's to play with. But you should put 1xSB700 on the X1R on say...group A. The flash itself should be in TTL mode but then on the X1T you set Group A to manual and whatever power you need.

The SB700 on top of the X1T is M. So you need to set M to TTL

I dont have any SB700's to play with. But you should put 1xSB700 on the X1R on say...group A. The flash itself should be in TTL mode but then on the X1T you set Group A to manual and whatever power you need.

The SB700 on top of the X1T is M. So you need to set M to TTL

bingo! i had the one on top set to TTL on the flash and couldn't figure out what the issue was.

Set it to M then on the transmitter set M to TTL.

Thanks for the help, it was driving me nuts.

Rgds

Fab. I'd be interested in what you think of them in the field.
bit of an old thread revival but thought I would let you know re the Godox flashes.

So far so good. Seem to do the job nicely. Allows me to have 2 different lighting set ups at each wedding. Although I think I may have broken one of them as it doesn't seem to fire when controlled by the X1T.

The only thing I find is when the batteries get a bit low they take an age to recycle. May have to get a power pack.

Are you still using them?

Back