Yongnuo flash - YN685 or YN568?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at the above 2... Looking at using maybe adding a couple to my 2 SB900s. Depending on what I am shooting may use 1,2,3 or all 4 at a time.

My understanding is that the 685 is pretty much the same but has built in receiver so no need to attach a YN603 to it which i currently use. Any other main differences? I shoot solely in manual. With that in mind I see no reason to swap from the YN603 to YN622?

Looking at the above 2... Looking at using maybe adding a couple to my 2 SB900s. Depending on what I am shooting may use 1,2,3 or all 4 at a time.

My understanding is that the 685 is pretty much the same but has built in receiver so no need to attach a YN603 to it which i currently use. Any other main differences? I shoot solely in manual. With that in mind I see no reason to swap from the YN603 to YN622?
The receiver is for the YN622, I don't think it'll accept a signal from the 603

Thanks.

Chris, how do you find the flash, is it the same as the 568 but with the receiver? There are a couple of 568 on here for sale, although would need an extra receiver.

I haven't seen th 568 so can't comment, however the 685 is excellent. It's well built with a few extra nice bits like the lever clamp on the hotshot (same as on Canon speed lights) it also has a rubber seal around the foot for an element of weather resistance. I also think it's excellent value, if you take into account that a 568 costs circa £78 + a further £34 for a yn622 transmitter (£24 for rf603) whereas the YN685 is £75 with no need for a receiver.

Personally if it was me I'd go for a couple of 685's and a YN622N TX. Whilst I get what you say about shooting manual (I do too when using OCF) the TX is a controller and allows you to change the settings from the comfort of your camera with having to walk back and forwards

I haven't seen th 568 so can't comment, however the 685 is excellent. It's well built with a few extra nice bits like the lever clamp on the hotshot (same as on Canon speed lights) it also has a rubber seal around the foot for an element of weather resistance. I also think it's excellent value, if you take into account that a 568 costs circa £78 + a further £34 for a yn622 transmitter (£24 for rf603) whereas the YN685 is £75 with no need for a receiver.

Personally if it was me I'd go for a couple of 685's and a YN622N TX. Whilst I get what you say about shooting manual (I do too when using OCF) the TX is a controller and allows you to change the settings from the comfort of your camera with having to walk back and forwards

Thanks, will the TX also change the nikons too?

Thanks, will the TX also change the nikons too?
If they're sat on a 622 it will.

Obviously the 603s don't have any communication with the speedlights, just a pin to fire.

If they're sat on a 622 it will.

Obviously the 603s don't have any communication with the speedlights, just a pin to fire.
Take it you're referring to the yn568

Edit: Ignore me I just re-read the original
I'd be tempted to sell the nikons and replace with 4 x yn685s. Probably will end up not costing anything

Last edited:
Take it you're referring to the yn568

Edit: Ignore me I just re-read the original
I'd be tempted to sell the nikons and replace with 4 x yn685s. Probably will end up not costing anything
No I was referring to the Nikon flashes the OP has, which he was asking about.

Back