Beginner Yongnuo Lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

Anyone had any experience of these lenses that appear to be Canon budget prime clones but a fraction of the price?

Cheers!

I went into a shop to try one, the 35mm copy. (I have had the canon 35 mm in the past and I never should have sold it.) My experience was not good - i immediately saw chromatic aberration on the images I took in the shop and didn't bother to take my test further, maybe be it was a bad copy but the shop keeper didn't try to persuade me so kept my money in pocket. There is also a digital rev YouTube video about these lenses, think it's the 50mm in comparison with the canon one, and it does ok but the canon wins

Thanks for the feedback, I've been apprehensive about them as they seemed too good to be true but was curious if there was anyone with hands on use.

Also saw some mentions of liveview not working with them and issues with long exposures leaving hot pixels.

Thanks for the feedback, I've been apprehensive about them as they seemed too good to be true but was curious if there was anyone with hands on use.

Also saw some mentions of liveview not working with them and issues with long exposures leaving hot pixels.
The problem with the internet is you still need an 'idiot' filter just like in real life (probably more so).

It's highly unlikely a lens will disable liveview, and a lens would definitely not be responsible for hot pixels.

Yongnuo lenses are very cheap copies of fairly inexpensive lenses. You have to realise corners will be cut, it's up to you whether you'd rather buy a 2nd hand Canon lens or make a small saving to get a brand new lens of lesser quality.

I had their nifty fifty clone for a while just as a fill in between lenses - actually slightly preferred it to the Canon Mk2 version, certainly caused no problems. It's not an L series, but let's face it, neither is the original!

Probably more worth it when they came out and could be picked up new for about £25, now they're a bit closer to the price of a second hand copy of the real thing.

I bought a 35mm from B&H for video work as it was sharp enough for HD and UHD and was easy to de-click. It does have some aberration at both ends of the f range but I liked the effect for what we were shooting.

yongnuo 50mm digitalrev

copy and paste the above into 'google'

This on 'youtube' might be useful as opposed to the untested opinions posted above. At least Kai has "tested."

Back