Yongnuo MR14EX

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone got any experience of using a Yongnuo MR14EX ring flash?

I'm thinking of getting one for macro photography.

If not, does any one have any other suggestions for the approx £75 cost of the Yongnuo?

I don't think there are any viable alternatives at that price without going down the low power LED route or an Orbis copy on a speedlight. I don't have any experience of the Yongnuo, but have a secondhand Metz Ringflash which cost £129. It is not a true ring flash but has 2 opposing flash lights which can be rotated around the lens and easy control of each light in either ETTL or Manual. The ETTL tends to underexpose and so needs some compensation. I really like it for macro but like most of the similar offerings, it is not powerful enough for portrait work. Most of my speedlights and the 'ring flash' are Metz, I like the Metz interface simplicity, generally low secondhand prices and some models that allow firmware updates. The Youngnuo flashes of all descriptions are very cheap as long as they keep on working, some love their flashes and others say they have had too many failures even at the price.

I have one. I've not used it in anger yet, but after a few test shots around the garden it's good value for money. It's appears to be well built and works as expected.

I have one. I've not used it in anger yet, but after a few test shots around the garden it's good value for money. It's appears to be well built and works as expected.

I'd be interested if any further feedback once you have chance to use it further.

Back