yongnuo/phottix/pocketwizards vs canon rt triggers

mrjames

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
a setup of 3 canon 600exrt's, and the st-e3 trigger costs = £1569
wireless ettl and manual control- radio trigger build into flash

a setup of 3 nissin 866mk2 (ettl) flashes and 4 yongnuo 622c receivers costs = £690
wireless ettl and manual control, battery pack ready, radio trigger attaches to flash shoe

a setup of 3 yongnuo 565 (ettl) flashes and 4 yongnuo 622c receivers costs = £422
wireless ettl and manual control, battery pack ready, radio trigger attaches to flash shoe

a setup of 3 yongno 560III (fully manual) flashes and a rf602 trigger costs = £178
wireless control (set power on flash), battery pack ready, radio trigger build into flash

the world is switching over to RT instead of IR, that's great- IR sucks! But the canon solution is so god dam expensive that I have investigated other options.

Below I have some insights, questions about my needs, and hopefully also some answers to your needs- so read on and apologues it's so long.

I recently had all my equipment stolen, and some of it is being replaced

but I had to buy some gear in the meanwhile to tide me over

I've never had 'backup gear' and happy to report that i've never needed it, but
luck won't last forever so i'm happy for the stuff I bought now to become 'backup' gear when I eventually get the money back to put together my long term set-up

it's not very often that you get the 'chance' to totally evaluate eveyr piece of gear you owned and weather it was really the best way of doing things, as much as it sucked loosing all my stuff it was interesting to see what limitations there were with my old set up, and compare it with the new 'backup' setup to see where I would like to go for my long term set-up

What I used to have:

yongnuo st-e2 trigger
2x canon 550ex
430ex

using it 90% of the time in strobist style manual mode- adjusting power on the flashes, but was a problem when trying to work quickly as I had to walk over to each flash.

frequently had misfires, and problems triggering outdoors, and line of sight issues using the IR controller- had much more success using visible light from the 550ex as the master controller though so could usually find a workaround

recycle time on the 550ex was slow

and i'm 100% going to invest in battery packs for the flashes as 1/1 power eats battery life

often the 550ex wasn't enough power- so although I like working with 3 lights, i'd like to have the option to 'double up' on power- I thought about studio lights but I like portability and battery options.

What I played with in the camera shop
Nissin 866 master (and on camera ettl)
nissin 466 as slave

love the 866, hated the 466, thought the build was horrible and it wasnt easy to use in manual mode- but it worked well wirelessly controlled by the 866 and was a good price though, so I left with only the 866mk2

but I needed more than 1 off camera flash so purchased some more things off amazon to leave me with this setup:

yongnuo 602 triggers
yongnuo 560 III x2 totally manual flashes
nissin 866

love the 560 III as they have built in wireless receivers, and work great in manual mode (although power has to be set on the flash), so I was on location for a shoot and I set the 602 to trigger the 560 and set the optical slave on the 866 to fire when the 560 was tripped- could have used the remaining receiver to trigger the 866 flash but working indoors it was fine triggered optically

this set up was great, and worked well- but had to adjust power on each flash, which was fine with an assistant but could be a drag if the flashes were out of reach

can't speak for the longevity of the items but so far working well

absolutely hate that the 602 doesn't lock onto the camera hotshoe! very loose fit as well.

usually work with 3 lights, but interested in owning 6 lights total for double power, redundancy and for more creative lighting, so i'm thinking about investing in more 560III flashes so I have 3 flashes that can be triggered by the 602 (or from visible light), as a fully operational backup system and I could use them along side my main light kit when I need extra light for shooting f11-16

What i'm getting as a 'like for like' replacement

600ex RT x2
430ex
cash for the trigger to replace yongnuo st-e2

i'm pretty stoked to be getting 600ex's, but really not sure I need them. I was expecting 580ex's

this leaves me with
yongnuo 602
nissin 866mk2
yongnuo 560III x2
canon 600exRT x2
canon 430ex
£80 for a flash trigger

I'd like to keep one of the 600's to use on camera as my ettl weather sealed flash, but not sure what to do with the other, it's a lot of money for a feature I might not be using and I actually really liked the simple menu on the nissin, worked well as my on camera flash in times when I had to quickly switch to manual mode when ETTL was playing up, will have to see what I think to the canon, but from looking at videos it seems slower and less logical- would be interested in the weather sealing though but I don't really shoot in the rain.

I'll likely sell the 430 as I think I prefer the nissin 866's power, and with no optical slave, battery pack ability, and no built in RT feature i'm not sure whether it's useful at all, just don't know what it brings to the party.

so for the long term plan:

Option A is to embrace canon RT wireless, and the costs involved- so getting the st-e3 trigger, using the 2 600ex's and then the nissin 866 and 2x yongnuo 560III as visible light optical slave units- when I have the money replace the nissin with another 600ex (i'm still in the returns period for the 866 so could return it now, only used it once), or wait until yongnuo bring out their version of the 600exRT, or canon bring out a 430exRT. The world is going RT, but with so much lost equipment to replace right now i'm looking for the best bang for my buck, so...

Option B is to ignore the built in canon RT features and use third party RT options, (to just pretend that they're 580's and not 600exRT's), i'm 99% sure I want to be using RT instead of IR, and i'm 100% sure I don't want something as big as a flash on the camera as a master controller- so maybe I keep the 600's or replace them with 580's/nissin 866/yongnuo 565 or 568 and look into using something like the phottix odin, or yongnuo 622c to trigger the ettl flashes with wireless manual control.

All the wireless systems have pro's and con's, just got to figure out which is the best one to invest into.

Yongnuo are of course the cheapest, and the advantage of the 622 is that I could still use the manual 602 on top to trigger the 560III flashes, disadvantage is that it won't work with my 5dc, only my 1d3. Phottix is the most fully featured, but is expensive and has no flash hotshoe passthrough. Canon is even more expensive and actually seems like the worst system out the 3.

I like the simplicity of having the receiver built into the flash unit, so I like the 560III and yongnuo 602 combo- just don't like not having remote manual control- and the canon st-e3 and 600exRT is like a much much much more expensive version of that with wireless manual control and wireless ttl (which i'd never use), phottix also have their own flashes coming out with receivers built in, but they're nearly as expensive as the canon's.

I bet yongnuo will bring out a flash with build in receivers for the 622 system- I think that would be great, and apparantly yongnuo bringing out a 600exRT equivalent as well as a st-e3 clone- which would be utterly perfect, just not sure when it might come out- and need a working system right now to take pictures with.

So I guess it boils down to whether I'm prepared to 1) have receivers attached to my flashes 2) spend the money for the canon rt or phottix system 3) live with having to adjust the 560's on the actual flash 4) prepared to wait for a possible yongnuo solution

Just wish that the future was more clearly defined- don't want to end up with a load of useless incompatible equipment, but I am perfectly happy to buy equipment now that will later become a working backup solution

And just to toss one more option in... :D

Have you seen the new Yongnuo trigger for Canon speedlights?

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-e3-rt-features/

He did mention it - but not as part of his options :thinking:

What he doesn't say is what's his priorities, and what saving any money will get him.

Personally in his shoes I'd be tempted with the 600 ex's and the YN version of the ST E3, or 580 ex's and pocketwizard flex triggers.

Unless we've got a definite release date for the new Yongnuo transmitter / controller, and we know that it'll work on the 5d. That would be a game changer for the OP.

And just to toss one more option in... :D

Have you seen the new Yongnuo trigger for Canon speedlights?

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-e3-rt-features/

He did mention it - but not as part of his options :thinking:

What he doesn't say is what's his priorities, and what saving any money will get him.

Personally in his shoes I'd be tempted with the 600 ex's and the YN version of the ST E3, or 580 ex's and pocketwizard flex triggers.

Unless we've got a definite release date for the new Yongnuo transmitter / controller, and we know that it'll work on the 5d. That would be a game changer for the OP.

Saving money would be fantastic!
Advantages would mean I could get some new lenses, upgrade one of my bodies, or spend some cash on myself instead if my business

Priorities are reliability, and ease of use, but I'm rather have 90% performance for 50% cost- I can live with some limitations

Nt sure if it was obvious in the post, but the 600ex rt's are replacements by the insurence company, so im getting those regardless and what I'm saying is do I keep them and build a system around that (which is still expensive to expand on), or sell the 600's and build a much cheaper system around something else, (580ex and 622 triggers) where I can have 5/6 lights and it not be amazingly expensive

The more I think about it the more I think I'll keep the 600's, yongnuo ste3 should be out late october and I'll get that as I really want/need af assist so it looks better than the canon for less money

im not so desparste for wireless ttl now so I'll stick with manual triggers for now (triggering the 560's), then when I have the 600's and yongnuo ste3 just use the 560's as visible light triggers (for background lighting in which manual control isn't really needed)

I'll add more yongnuo rt flashes down the line, keep the 560iii's for backup and manual power flash when I just need to flood a space with light

Think I'd like to stay away from flash foot mounted receivers, too many battery hassles

Which means the 866 will have to be returned, unless there's any plan to bring out a st-e3 compatible flash shoe receiver, could use it on optical slave mode but expensive way to use a £200 light

The 5d is likely to be replaced with a 5d2, or the 1d3 replaced with a 1ds3 so compastivility isn't a deal breaker for the long term plan

You mention battery pack compatability for the nissins and yongnuo's, but not for the 600's

They will accept the 580's battery pack you know ;)
I use the pixel battery pack for the 580 on my 600 and it works perfectly, refresh times on the 600 are pretty good anyway for a full power flash, but with freshly charged 7dayshop battery's in both the gun and the battery pack im getting recharge times of less than a second for a full power flash!

You mention battery pack compatability for the nissins and yongnuo's, but not for the 600's

They will accept the 580's battery pack you know ;)
I use the pixel battery pack for the 580 on my 600 and it works perfectly, refresh times on the 600 are pretty good anyway for a full power flash, but with freshly charged 7dayshop battery's in both the gun and the battery pack im getting recharge times of less than a second for a full power flash!

is the pixel battery pack the one that takes 8 AA batteries, that's the one I was looking at- looks great

I have an original Canon CP-E4 battery pack and two HK specials, i dont know the make but they work just as well as the original one with my 600EX-RT's

Im still experimenting with the 600's so i cant give any advice in that respect.

I use a second ST-E3 to remotely trigger a second body.

I will certainly be looking at the HK AF assist model when it is released. It will negate the need for a 600 on body for the first dance shots.

is the pixel battery pack the one that takes 8 AA batteries, that's the one I was looking at- looks great

Benefit of the Pixel is the two power lines through the pack, hence if one AA goes down in one group of four, the other group of four continues working.

Back