Yongnuo ST-E2 trigger manually?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Can the Yongnuo clone (or even the Canon OEM) ST-E2 manually trigger the 580exii's?

Also would it be possible to use in ETTL mode when desired with the 580s in A:B, mixed with manual cheaper optical slaves lighting background/hairlight etc?

Thanks,

Andy(y)

Hi,

The Yongnuo clone will only operate in ETTL mode. Presumably the Canon version will be likewise.

Dunno about mixing triggers TBH. The manual for the clone states that it supports firing a group C flash in ratio mode (A:B) when this option is set from the camera menu. Presumably you would need a camera that has this option to control external flash. I don't know if this works because I have never tried it. It would however allow you to use a group C flash for backgrounds etc without any other triggers.

Regards

Last edited:
I tried a Pixel King to fire Canon Speedlites with trigger for my studio strobe on the King hot shoe. It doesn't work.
I now have the Pixel Bishop on the way to try and see if that works. Its hot shoe is 'pass through' so it might work.
Will let you know.

I have the yongnuo st-e2 and i use it to fire my Nissin flashes on manual all the time.

I just set the nissin to slave digital mode (so they ignore the pre-flash) then set manually. I am sure the Canons have the same function.

You could use the 580's in ettl and another in manual mode so long as it has the digital slave mode that ignores preflash. This is the way i set up my cross lighting outside then i can adjust the strength of the frontlight with FEC without affecting the rear separation light.

Good luck :)

Hi
Just received the Pixel Bishops and they are great.
Put my Lencarta strobe trigger on the Bishop and now can fire my speed lights and strobes at the same time.
I bought the Bishops from Roger at UK Highland Photography. He was so patient and
helpful. Great company to deal with.

Back