Yongnuo system explanation??

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening,
I already have the Yongnuo 568 flash unit and now looking to add the extras to be able to use it off camera, I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for online, hopefully someone can help. Do I need both the flash controller and flash trigger?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN-...445122187&sr=8-7&keywords=Yongnuo+flash+Nikon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YongNuo-YN-...445122746&sr=8-8&keywords=Yongnuo+flash+Nikon
From my vague understanding you only need to controller if you are using more an 1 flash? Is that right? At the moment I only have one so can I get away with only buying the wireless trigger?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Danny

You need one transmitter/controller/trigger unit (622-Tx) that attaches to the camera, and one receiver (622) for each gun.

Just to add to the above, you'll also need light stands and speedlight mounts, and preferably a softbox too, at the least an umbrella for your key light.

So that's
1x YN622N TX
2x YN568
3x YN622N

3 stands
2 flash brackets
1 Godox 80cm s type bracket and softbox or another flash bracket and a brolly.

I'd also add a 5 in 1 reflector
And if you're serious you'll need rechargeable batteries and a smart charger.

For a one off, studio hire is a bargain in comparison.

Thanks Phil :) my dad still has some stands and brackets he never sold luckily, I was going to buy the wireless trigger and controller anyway so that's not a one off expense, I wasn't planning on the extra 568 flash but we are having a baby in January and have multiple friends who are asking me to do photos of their newborns (little strange that they think because I take averagely good landscape photos they think I'll be great at portraits ) So the only other thing to buy would be he brolly which from initial looking online aren't going to break the bank :)
Danny

Thanks Phil :) my dad still has some stands and brackets he never sold luckily, I was going to buy the wireless trigger and controller anyway so that's not a one off expense, I wasn't planning on the extra 568 flash but we are having a baby in January and have multiple friends who are asking me to do photos of their newborns (little strange that they think because I take averagely good landscape photos they think I'll be great at portraits ) So the only other thing to buy would be he brolly which from initial looking online aren't going to break the bank :)
Danny
I'm sure you'll learn a lot from the experience.

A few years ago, every other thread in the lighting and people sections was asking about white seamless on a budget, it's technically quite challenging, but because it was 'everywhere' people assumed their mate with a camera would be able to do it.

That's been replaced now with 'newborn' photos, which are challenging in a very different kind of way. To do that properly and safely really does require expertise and training. It's all about keeping baby safe, and most of those really cute 'poses' you see are composites for the removal of supporting hands etc.

On a technical front for newborns you'll want as large a softbox as you can fill (I'd say a speedlight is inadequate, others might disagree), I only did it once, I avoided all the 'unsafe' poses and shot with a 120 Octabox powered by a studio head. If I was doing it again tomorrow, I'd do exactly the same. But I wouldn't volunteer as it was bloody hard work requiring the patience of a saint (about 3.5 hrs for 20 frames).

If this is something you want to pursue, don't buy the speedlights, grab some proper studio heads instead, much better in the long run, and if you need the portability, grab a Godox AD 360 cheap (risk the lack of warranty, it's a mature product and not likely to fail).

Thanks for your advice again, really helpful. I never intend to get paid for any of my work, I have a good job already and photography is purely a hobby, so 450 on a soft box may be a little excessive It's just something I enjoy so don't mind spending a little on a few bits and pieces, I don't expect to get he immaculate quality of a professional with my limited equipment and experience.

Dan

Thanks for your advice again, really helpful. I never intend to get paid for any of my work, I have a good job already and photography is purely a hobby, so 450 on a soft box may be a little excessive It's just something I enjoy so don't mind spending a little on a few bits and pieces, I don't expect to get he immaculate quality of a professional with my limited equipment and experience.

Dan
You don't have to spend 450 on a softbox :confused:

Cheap and decent studio heads cost a similar amount to speedlights. So if you're only buying speedlights for studio use, proper studio heads is a no-brainier. They recycle faster, come complete with brackets for stands, have easy mounts for modifiers, and modelling lights too. There's also inexpensive options to remotely fire and adjust them.

If you want great customer service and relatively inexpensive units, you could do worse than Lencarta, if you're happy without that, there are bargains to be had from EBay. Just avoid the really cheap units with the built in reflectors. I'll PM you some links.

Back