Yongnuo trigger in Manual

Edit My Images
No
Ok - daft question time !

I am using a Yongnuo 622c to trigger a Nissin Di866 off camera (TTL Mode) (This works in Channel C1 and Group A). I am using that flash to then trigger a YN568EX in Optical Slave mode. Again this works no problem (the 568ex relying on manual settings rather then TTL)

The problem i get is when i change the camera 6D flash setting to Manual (for the YN622c connected Nissin) and also change the flash menu to Manual

It wont trigger the flash. Ive cycled through all channels / groups ensuring they match on the receiver / transmitter but it never works.

If i stick the camera flash option back on TTL it works again.

Any ideas? No doubt this will be a simple one to someone !

In the end i just used TTL and then FEC to overexpose and underexpose as desired as i couldnt get Manual to work !!

I don't know about iTTL, but for the Canon ETTL system, the flashes have to be left in ETTL mode to run them in Manual from the remotes.

It sounds counter intuitive, until you think that ETTL isn't just for metering, it's the comms protocol too. Once the flash is switched to Manual it only wants to be fired from the central pin, it's no longer listening for comms on the other pins.

So I leave the flash in ettl and use the camera menu to tell it that the flash should behave in Manual mode and to adjust the power. If you had a receiver on the 568 that takes the messages the same, allowing for complete remote control from the camera.

Phil thanks for the reply. Now you explain it makes sense why the flash would stay in ttl. I will have a mess around and make sure I am getting all manual options using the camera menu. Thanks

Back