Beginner Yongnuo YN-14EX Or other for Macro flash

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Now that I am getting back into the nature side of photography, I am looking at making decent use of my Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro Lens which my late father left me. So now it has got me looking at lighting for it, in which is a new area for me. I will be looking to use the 100mm on either my 5D MKIII or 7D with or without teleconverters. Now what I was wondering is the Yongnuo YN-14EX worth getting or is there something else similar within the same price range ?. I do currently use a Yongnuo ETTL as my main day to day Speedlite, as well as 2 manual units, so am quite familiar with the brand.

Many thanks to anyone that can advise a beginner in Macro.

Your regular flash and some kind of diffusion is a great and cheap solution
IMHO ringflash is not a good pleasing light for macro.
DSC_0428.JPG
DSC_0380.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have one of the Yongnuo 14-EX and it worked fine until the rear LCD stopped showing info unless I put a slight pressure on it when it works it does the job quite well. Russ.

Your regular flash and some kind of diffusion is a great and cheap solution
IMHO ringflash is not a good pleasing light for macro.
View attachment 283722
View attachment 283723

Thank you for tha, looks quite simple to do as well

Hi, I have one of the Yongnuo 14-EX and it worked fine until the rear LCD stopped showing info unless I put a slight pressure on it when it works it does the job quite well. Russ.

Thank you, must admit that something like a ring flash first attracted me as it was compact, as I will be doing outdoor macro of plants and insects, it looked pretty good to use. How long did you have it long and much use before it malfunctioned ?

Thank you for tha, looks quite simple to do as well

Thank you, must admit that something like a ring flash first attracted me as it was compact, as I will be doing outdoor macro of plants and insects, it looked pretty good to use. How long did you have it long and much use before it malfunctioned ?
Not more than a year, it still works just not the rear LCD screen can set via camera menu.

Thank you so much for those, will take a look

Not more than a year, it still works just not the rear LCD screen can set via camera menu.

That is good to know. Well I was just looking in the massive bag of items that was from my Dads place after he had passed and I found a still sealed boxed Marumi DRF14 Macro Ring Flash.. That I had completely forgotten about as it was too painful to look in the bag of stuff, when he passed almost 4yrs ago. So will hopefully be putting that to use in the coming days.

Back