Yongnuo YN-568EX and triggers?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and decided it's time to get a second flash and some triggers! I need to start improving on my lighting! I have seen a few pople talking about the Yongnuo YN-568EX. To my understanding this can be used with the 580 EXII as a slave flash, has similar functionality and would make a good addition to my kit?! What are peoples opinions on these flashguns?

Also want to invest in a set of triggers, Ideally for just the 2 flash guns but with the aim to use more when more money frees up. Again I have seen people suggesting the Yongnuo 622c triggers.

Basically with a budget of around £200, currently sporting a 580 EXII and nothing else lighting wise, would this make a good buy, spending the change on perhaps a softbox/umbrella?

I personally bought a 565EX gun and RF-602 triggers a couple of months back. I honestly think they're great - the rf-602 aren't TTL based, but if the flash is off the camera it's all set manually anyway.

The only downside i've found to the triggers is that the power button is under the body of the flash when mounted, but that isn't exactly a deal breaker (i just turn it on before mounting the flash!).

At the time the 565 cost £100, and the triggers around £20 (for a pair), which left me plenty for a cheap stand and umbrella.

Hi I use 2 yn565's and find them fantastic other than they don't support high speed sync and can't be used as a wireless master they are pretty much the same as the 580ex2 they have never given me any grief and as I run the 7d I can fire then with the pop up flash with no problems

yn622s for sixty quid and forget the second flash for now, just use the 580 with it and get an umbrella softbox or an apollo clone.

I have two YN565EX flashes
they work pretty well but once the batteries start to fade they aren't as reliable as the canon 580 that I have
however, they do take a battery pack (not tried that yet).
and they do work nicely as a slave (to the canon STE2, the YNSTE2 and the 580EXii, tried them all)
the newer one is good I've heard but doesn't have a battery pack socket
but does support HSS
so for the price, they get the thumbs up from me.
I'd rather have a set of 580s or 430s but for 100 quid each I think the YN's are a good alternative

btw, the YNSTE2 is 70 quid, and would allow you to ETTL to both the 580 and the YN and however many you wish to in the future, more or less.
and play with ratios between the two. one reason I like it is that it takes AA batteries. they don't last as long at the beastie battery that you find in the canon ST-E2 but it's a lot more convenient.

Last edited:
Hi I use 2 yn565's and find them fantastic other than they don't support high speed sync and can't be used as a wireless master they are pretty much the same as the 580ex2 they have never given me any grief and as I run the 7d I can fire then with the pop up flash with no problems

btw, first post? welcome to the forums (y)
(in an arbitrary and non-official random passer-by sort of way :))

I'd rather have a set of 580s or 430s but for 100 quid each I think the YN's are a good alternative

btw, the YNSTE2 is 70 quid, and would allow you to ETTL to both the 580 and the YN and however many you wish to in the future, more or less.

If the funds were there I would be getting a second 580, unfortunately I'm a student these days and I'm already dipping into funds I should probably be saving as it is ;)

I see the YN-STE2 is IF, I would prefer RF triggers as I imagine they are going to be a lot easier to use compared to having to move lighting around, mess about trying to keep line of site...

What are others opinions on using an IR trigger over an RF? The YN ST-E2 seems a good bit of kit if it's not too much of a pain in the arse to use!

Last edited:
Back