Yongnuo YN-622C and E-TTL.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I have a 430 EX II which I use with my 5D3,and would like to start using it wirelessly off camera like I used to on my previous body - a 7D.

I've been considering getting the Yongnuo YN-622C for this purpose. But can't find any information as to whether my current Speedlite on it's own is enough to enable E-TTL from the YN-622C setup while off camera. With just the Yongnuo transceiver (on its own) mounted on the 5D3's hotshoe.

If an additional Speedlite is required to act as the master I'll probably go down the 600 EX route with the current cash back - unless I can find a used 580 EX II.

If I were to buy the 600 would the Yongnuo actually be needed?
As I recall reading that my current camera (along with the 1DX) has specific settings especially for the 600 EX. :shrug:
If that's the case would that eventually render the Yongnuo useleless in the long run?

Many thanks in advance for any advice,and sorry for the long winded questions :bonk:

The 7D could wirelessly (IR) control the 430 EXII.
The 5D MK3 needs a wireless transmitter (either IR or RF).

The YN-622C will trigger the 430 EXII wirelessly and should work as ETTL. You don't need an additional flash.

The YN-622C also allows a flash to be fitted, so you could have one on the camera and one off the camera, both triggered by the YN-622C.

If you bought the 600EX-RT, you could use it as a master flash to control the 430EXII.

Have a watch of this video. It explained a lot to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSQVf1n2K8

Thanks Omens.

I was unsure due to differing views throughout the net.
Some said the ETTL would still be enabled with just a single speedlite connected off camera.
Yet others stated that to retain the ETTL function,a compatible speedlite needed to be connected to the transceiver on the main hotshoe. Or else it would only provide a manual flash exposure.

So from what you've said. If I bought the 580 II or 600 then I wouldn't really need the Yongnuo?

The 430EXII IIRC just has the IR receiver so a 580 or 600 could talk via infra-red. The downside of this is that you need line-of-sight or it won't work.

With the yongnuo, you can hide the flash out of sight and it would still fire.

I'm in a similar boat in that I was looking at whether it was worth getting a 580EXII or not as a master flash. I've been leaning towards the wireless solution now.

You really need input from someone who's used the YN-622C to confirm things.

The 5DIII with a pair of YN-622C and the 430EXII work fine together. I personally like the new flash control menus that the 5DIII has - much more convenient than the old style.

A "Master" flash is NOT required, at least for the Canon version. The 622 is the Master, when on camera.

Take a look at TOYUG:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

Back